Carpenter ants...

How can I get rid of carpenter ants without putting poison around my kids?? They are really bad in the kitchen.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Home & Garden

• you need a pest control person.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I get them in my bathroom of ALL places and we haven't figured it out yet. It's way too expensive (for us) to call an exterminator, but I know it will need to be done eventually. Surprisingly, we haven't seen ANY this year!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You really need an exterminator. We had this problem when we first bought our house and thankfully the exterminator was paid for by the seller. Carpenter ants like damp wood for their nests. They are very destructive. We found our nest on the damp wood under our bathtub. We didn't know we had a leak in our caulking on our bathtub. Therefore, I would check all wood under behind any cabinets etc for where the nest could be and then go from there.
    jeni2671

Answer by jeni2671 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I just don't have the $$ for an exterminator. Someone told me to put out cream of wheat... Any body heard of that? They said they will eat it and then when they drink something it swells and they go boom...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• If you can't find a natural way to get rid of them, you do need an exterminator. It may not be as expensive as you think, but it will be more expensive if you don't get rid of them. We had them and they ate through our skylight and I had to have the whole thing replaced. The exterminator was cheaper. When I hired the exterminator I went to the website and found coupons and discounts.
    Arlene

Answer by Arlene at 10:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2008