baby bigger then normal?

So I am 35 weeks and my baby is measuring 38 weeks. I am seeing a specialist and they did a growth ultrasound so I know it is very accurate. She is weighing 7 lbs. So does this mean that i might go into labor sooner? What was your experience with this?

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no it doesnt mean you will go in to labor sooner it just means you can prepare yourself for having a big baby. My SIL went through this to at 35weeks they told her that the baby was measuring around 7lbs and to expect the baby to be at about 10lbs when he was born she had a c section cuz she cant have a natural birth so she had him at 38 and half weeks and he was born at 9lbs 11oz. babies usually gain about a half pound to a pound a week in the last month or so.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• That is big for 35 weeks... my friend had hers at 35 weeks and her little girl was 5 lbs. I don't think you will go into labor sooner but maybe they could induce you so you don't go over. I don't know, that's what I would do if I had the choice but I'm a c-section Mom so it won't matter to me. Good luck though, it's good to know baby is doing well and big!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son was measuring large too, however I didn't go into labor until two days before his due date. So I wouldn't count on early labor. I wouldn't worry about it as I was told "Unless you have some sort of medical condition (i.e diabetes) your body will not produce a baby you can't deliver naturally." And it was true my son was 8lbs 110z , and sunny-side up, I still had him naturally.

Besides don't forget that ultrasound measurements can be off by as much as two pounds. They told me he was 10lbs and he so wasn't.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 4:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• U/S are not very accurate... they are usually within 2 lbs... Measuring big could just be how the baby is laying. Have you measured big the entire pregnancy? Or just this week?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have been measuring big for the past 2 months or so. always 3 weeks ahead but my dates are right because of early us
    babybump3166

Answer by babybump3166 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You might be having a larger baby (by no means larger than can be birthed), but it could be the baby likes being measured... Also, are they measuring your stomach with a measuring tape or is the measure with an u/s?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I measured over with my son through my whole pregnancy, infact my doc and midwife thought maybe twins in the beginning. I had him a 36 weeks (which was normal for me, all three of mine were early), and he weighed 5 lbs 11 oz, my biggest.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 5:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I always "measure" large from the outside -- two weeks ahead with this one too. I have two kids and a third on the way and the ultrasound weight has never been right on my kids. I have long, skinny babies. Think of babies as any two people... two women can fit in the same clothes, wear the same size shoe and be the same height - yet one has flabby lose fat, and the other is a brick solid -- so the firmer one weighs 40lbs more. You would never know by looking at them. Bottom line is they can't tell how "dense" the baby is by pictures, so they use averages and best guesses based on measurements.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Ultrasounds can only estimate the size and can be off by a pound or so either way. At my last ultrasound at 32 weeks, my baby was measuring 5 lb 10 oz. I'm not worried about it. He'll come when he's ready. Good luck.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm 39 w 1 d and had an u/s today because I was measuring big. The baby is estimated to weigh 9lbs 1 oz. I asked what the error rate is and the tech said it's plus or minus 1lb. So, I feel your pain. I'm not dialated at all and teh dr doesn't think this baby will come any times soon. Every week that goes by another 1/2 to the 'little' one.
    We're just going to have big babies :0) My mother said labor would be hard but at least teh baby will sleep through the night faster when it's bigger than having a smaller baby. At least that's a silver lining right???
    Makieno

Answer by Makieno at 5:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009