Is something wrong with my baby? My son is almost 5 weeks. I'm breastfeeding and he's always had a hearty appitite. Today he has hardly eaten. He's kind of fussy and lethargic. Is he sick or could I not be producing enough all the sudden? My breasts don't seem to be getting as full as usual. Help!

breastfeeding, production

kemmccall

Asked by kemmccall at 4:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's doubtful that you milk production would just go down like that, I remember worrying about things like that too.
    But as far as your baby goes- trust your gut- if he seems weird, take him into his pediatrician. They want to see any potential problems, especially at this very tender age!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 4:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If you are concerned take him in. However in my experience, my children always lost their appetite and slept more right before a growth spurt.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 4:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• He could just be having an off day. As far as not feeling so full anymore, that is an indicator that your supply has REGULATED, not DROPPED. Congrats, you are now making the right amount of milk for your son, and not too much extra unless he demands it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My guess would be growth spurt as well.

If he's still acting hungry, then I would be concerned about not producing enough...but it sounds like you've just regulated, like the above poster said.

If you're seeing symptoms of an illness (fever, stuffiness, coughing, etc), I'd give the doctor a call, otherwise just take it easy today and try to catch up on your sleep a little as well!

You can ALWAYS call the doc if you're feeling uneasy, anyway...there are no stupid questions!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Take his temperature. Lethargy is always a sign of illness in my daughter. Don't worry about the size of your breasts: Krysta is right.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009