Does your kids think money falls from the sky?

are you teaching your kids the value of money and saving? I'm trying to, but they think a lot of times that if something's broke or old just go buy buy buy a new one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• It doesn't fall from the sky, it falls from Grandpa's pockets. Everytime they go to visit Grandma and Grandpa he gives them whatever pocket change he has. The big problem I have with it is that his pocket change usually ranges from between $4 and $10. It makes it impossible for me to enforce the chores for an allowance rule we have at the house because they know they will get money for nothing just by going out to Grandpa's house. It's so frustrating. I've asked him not to do it but he conveniently forgets every time. I'd stop the kids from visiting but I rely on them a lot for weekend care when i have to work.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• haha my dad is the same way with my daughter (4)...allllllllll his pocket change..my daughter thinks that ohhh if ya dont have money just use the credit card...yaa SOOO doesnt work that way..actually this morning we went out shopping, and she told me she wanted to buy a scarf..so i said ok go get some christmas money and you can buy one..so she did, and we went out, she was looking at the scarfs, she picked one out, went to pay for it,and she was so upset that they lady (cashier) took all her money..lol..she only was left with a couple cents..soo that was a nice thing for me, to explain to her about money..but yaa..every other time its "just use your credit cards mom"...i mean shes only 4 so she doesnt totally get it yet..but..im trying to get her to understand..slowly..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It doesn't fall from the sky, my kids think I have a magic money tree in the backyard, it doesn't help that they have daddy wrapped around their fingers.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It doesn't fall from the sky, my kids think I have a magic money tree in the backyard, it doesn't help that they have daddy wrapped around their fingers. (sammiesmom2000)

You have one also? When my oldest was about 4 I tried convincing him that money did not grow on trees, he was very sure that it did, I asked him why ? cause he was being stubborn, here is what he said..."Money is made on paper, paper comes from tree's, so money grows on trees" kinda hard to argue with that logic :).

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No, my son does not think money falls from the sky. He is growing up thinking it comes in the form of an easy and convenient plastic card. He hands over my credit card every time we go to the store (I never really carry cash) and says, "here you go, cash." That's because once (who knew at two it would stick?) I told him that daddy is at work. He asked why. I said so that daddy can earn some cash. He asked why. I said so that we can keep giving our card to buy things. Now he also says that daddy is at work very proudly when we hand them my credit card. Go figure. If the kid ever sees green it will be a miracle.  That and a real land line phone.  He just has no clue if it is not a cell.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No they don't think it falls from the sky. My Hubby and I have worked very hard for the things we have and while we can afford to give our children pretty much whatever they want...we DO NOT. They are 6 and 9 years old and get allowances for doing their "jobs" ie. homework, getting good grades, helping around the house etc. They very rarely ask us to buy them anything, they know that if they want it they need to save their money and but it themselves. If it a particularly expensive item however, we ask that they save half the ammount and we help with the rest. Around Christmas time is the only time they ask for things and that's because they know that's the ONLY time of year we spoil them like crazy!!
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Cont...They also take some of their money and give it to charity ie. the local food bank or sometimes buying things from eachother for funraisers for their classes in school. We feel that the earlier they learn that hard work and smart money management is the only way to get the things in life that you need and want, the better. We do sometimes get them little things here and there just for being awesome kiddos but they deserve that!!
    happyathomemum

• I try to teach them the value of a dollar but it sometimes hurts me when they want something and I don't get it.
    Hubby does that part cause I'm really bad at it
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• lol They think that daddy works hard so they can have toys! My soul!!! They also think that money comes from the wall. My kids have played drive thru bank machine!
    My kids are 4,3, and 8 months. I think I'll wait to teach them about the value of money when they are a little older.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2009