• In the Spotlight:

Do you think your kids have it better than you did?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 5:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Uhm yes and no. I had it pretty good. I was an only child in an affluent family. We are middle class and I have 5 kids. They have more things I guess bc there are more things to buy. The each have their own computer, tv, stereo etc. I think when I was young we just didnt have all those things.

Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Financially and emotionally yes. they do have it better then I did. My life weasn't bad though.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• yes on both accounts financially and emotionally. While my parents were fine financially and we are a bit better than fine, my folks were also rather cold and distant.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• yes cause they don't have to worry of the headache how do we pay the mortgage this month etc?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My kids have it 100% better then I did as a kid. I mean if I laid it down for you trust me you would be in tears right about now.
    my kids get what they ask for all the time. Spoiled rotten kids.
    My kids have a Christmas every year They haven't had a birthday yet that hasn't been celebrated.
    Neither one of them lack for anything.
    When I was growing up I had no Xmas no tree no nothing. Birthdays? Well I remember one party when I was like 7.
    Um we never had anything the other kids had. No bikes big wheels nothing. Not even so much as a barbie doll.
    We all slept in one room. My mom brother and sister. With only two beds.
    When I tell you I strive to make sure my kids go without nothing I strive. I do because I know what type of childhood I had and don't want that for them.
    I can't complain because they get good grades well behaved kids and does their chores with no questions asked.
    They deserve to be spoiled.
    Anonymous

• My parents had the money when I was younger to buy me all kinds of stuff, but they didn't. And I am grateful for it. My kids get too much, I think, from their grandparents now...but I want to do one thing for my kids that I didn't get, financially speaking, that is, and that is to give them more things to do. Like, music lessons, karate lessons, gymnastics, sports, cub scouts, that kind of thing. I find where kids who did stuff like that grow up to be more sure of themselves, and rounded, and I think feeling good because you learned how to do cool stuff goes a long way-even when you no longer take those lessons, or kick goals in the net.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes. Mine sure do. They have a grandfather that spoils them. I didn't. They have more access to television cartoons. All the channels they have now a days and those video games. I hate video games. There's also this internet. Mine don't go on it though. They're only 11 and 8.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 2:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2009