Are you or dh in construction....Are you hurting yet??? What is happening in your part of the world?

My dh works for the union ironworkers. Work has been good last year. But now there are more than 30 ppl on the out of work list. I got on the site and there are no jobs posted for the whole country. There is hardly any hopes of a job in the near future. So what is going to happen to our families if things do not start picking up. My dh has worked here for around 15 years. I am a sahm. (cheaper than babysitting in my sit.) So just wondering if any of you are in my situation or worse. As of now my dh still has his job. Hoping it will hold out until something else comes along. Factories, stores, restuarants all are closing or cutting back tremendously around here. There are 3 stores just in our local small town mall that are closing. Is anyone else worried, or is it just me. On plant laid off over 500 yesterday. Is it like this everywhere or just in my area?

lovinmomto3

Asked by lovinmomto3 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't mean to be a smart alec, but honestly, we are headed right toward having a large majority of our citizens becoming government dependent, one way or another. I come from a long history of self-employed carpenters. My son and my youngest brother are working on a 65 million dollar home in south GA, and fortunately, the work continues. But when this job is done, who knows? My cousin has already had to lay off several of his employees in this company. Remember,tho, that this kind of economy cycles along with this kind of work, too. It will get really low, then it will slowly build. At the same time, our new administration, may cause things to shift from the typical, so who knows?
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Its like that where we are too. My dh was working since he graduated from HS at the same furniture factory. They laid off the whole plant in 2004 and left for mexico. Then he got a job with another factory and they just laid off 400-500 ppl in June. My fil is working for another one and he said there are no contracts coming in so they may also be laid off. My dh just got a job and he has to travel for work which is fine, its a job. But hes making alot less then before so that sucks. I am finishing up college and was offered work at the social services division and just informed there is a statewide hiring freeze...............

Answer by gemgem at 5:54 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes, we are hurting! We have lost everything, our house, our car, our business, everything!!
    Anonymous