AT WHAT AGE DO I START TO POTTY TRAIN MY CHILD?

DENBESTE57

Asked by DENBESTE57 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would start putting him on the potty as soon as he/she is walking. Don't expect anything, but help him get comfortable with the toilet. They when he is ready he will know exactly what to do. No guess work. As soon as you see a pattern of him using it regularly ditch the diapers. Worked great with all three of mine, potty trained by 18 months.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 5:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This is NOT age based. You have two choices:
    Start whenever you want (some start at birth) but plan on doing all of the work. This is teaching the child to go in a certain spot (the potty) when you take him there. You will have to take your child on a set schedule and/or learn his body's schedule. If you want to do this, look for a book on elimination communication.
    OR
    You wait until your child is ready to learn the full potty training process, which means teaching him to get there on his own without a schedule or prompting from you and do what needs to be done with little to no help. This is usually sometime after age 2.
    Both have advantages, both have disadvantages. If this is what you are thinking of, try “The No Cry Potty Training Solution".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my son will be two in march and i started pt about 2 3 months ago when i noticed him watching me in the bathroom and im almost done. so its really when u think the child is ready
    Sens_Mom

Answer by Sens_Mom at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This will always be a debatable question with a gazillion debatable answers. LOL Namely b/c in countries where we have the affordability of throw away diapers, we potty train long after the time when babies could be trained. I often wonder how countries where people live in dirt floor huts are able to keep them so clean. No poop or pee. My parents were missionaries in deep Mexico. My father said the people there didn't have potty training issues. LOL
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• So I guess the answer is: Potty train when you are ready. :)
    lifeasinoit