How can I get my 17 year old cousin to stop prostituting herself?

She is seriously prostituting! I am still in shock and don't want to believe it but it is true. Her mother has given up on her. She lives all the way in Buffalo, NY. I live in NJ. I need advice ladies...PLEASE!!!

Asked by strwberricoco at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Call steve wilkos......maybe he can save her! Or Dr. Phil I dunno ? I just see that they sometimes can help. I know they both have websites as well!!!! If not I would go and try and get her out of there be strong and hang in ther xxxooo

Answer by Chris127 at 3:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• That's something really tough to answer. Did some kind of abuse happen to her when she was younger? Maybe this is her cry for help. Maybe she is seriously depressed and needs professional help. All I can say is, love on her. No matter what. Show her that even though she is making bad choices, that you still love her and care for her. Removing her from the situation may help a little, but there may be a psychological issue that needs to be taken care of.

Answer by hallen08 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• get the local police to arrest her for it. besaide that only SHE can stop herself and anyone trying to force anyone else to stop something knows they will only do it more.

Answer by vbruno at 5:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Unfortunetly We cannot control the actions of others. You can definitely talk with her and tell her that you love her and are concerned for her safety...Try to get to the root of why she is doing this without putting her on the defense or being judgemental. Maybe it was her way out of a bad situation at home and she could use a safe place to stay. MOst importantly show her that you care. good luck...and just love her.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Sorry to tell you this..but no one can tell her to stop...she has to want to stop...the more you pressure her the more into it she will be, so this is what you need to do for her...Pray every day that she will be safe, It's like a drug addict, or an alcoholic,, they are the ones who can make it stop..not you.. not GOD

Answer by BernieJ at 5:54 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Do you talk to her? If so, all you can do is let her know you care about her and are worried, and that you'll always be there for her...the final decision is up to can't force anyone to do anything...just let her know your there and are willing to help her when she's ready.

Answer by robinann5 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Thanks for all the help. She won't talk to me or anyone else in our family. I did find a girl on her myspace page that said she would try to help, but I've had no luck getting through to her. I am really worried for her life. This isn't her! She is so much better than this lifestyle!

Answer by strwberricoco at 4:20 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• does she understand the dangers of what shes doing? and ever watch the news, where girls get upducted?! theres many other ways for women to get money, they need to flaunt there body off to do it. Explain to her house concered you are, and i wouldnt call the cops on her until after you tried everything you possibly can to stop it. After that, you love her but you cant risk you becoming headline news, "mising girl, upducted during prostisution" FIND AN ARTICLE ABOUT A GIRL BEING KILLED. OR RAPED! AND SHOW IT TO HER!" Wish you the best of luck!