Our dog thinks he is boss and has no respect for me...I need advice!!

My hubby has a 2 year old boxer (had him before he met me) who pee's on our bed, tears down my son's curtain and our living room curtain (replaced rods like 3 times so far!) We got a new puppy last month and he pee's on her...he wont listen to any commands I give him. He jumps up on people when they visit...He is a complete ass to me. I don't know how to train him to make him stop and I love him so getting rid of him is not an option. My hubby and I have been starting to have arguments about it because all I seem to do is fix our curtains and clean our bed sheets all the time and he don't seem to understand how stressful it is for me!! His dog thinks he is boss!

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Pets

• Have you taken the dog to training classes? old dogs can learn new tricks. It sounds like he's jealous, first of you coming into the picture and now the new puppy. We got a male puppy and brought him home, he immediatley got attached to me and tried to "get rid of" my husband. He would pee on his pillow, push his pillow off the bed, pee in his shoes, all kinds of things. He eventually got over it though. Is the puppy a girl or a boy? If it's a boy they will be fighting for dominance and I really do not recommend having two boys. Also, is he fixed? That would definitely help with his behavior.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 8:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• The puppy is a girl. We want to eventually breed them ( they are both fullbred boxers) so we arent going to fix him quite yet. No dog training classes...looking online for advice
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• American Dog Trainers Network -- Taming the Dominant Dog
    It's important to note that the terms dominant and aggressive are not synonymous, although the two traits often overlap. While a dominant dog likes to ...
    www.inch.com/~dogs/taming.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:16 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• You need to show the dog that you are pack leader, not him. Watch The Dog Whisperer and you will see things that he does that are so simple...but take work between you and other family members. Teaching your dog how to obey will make you...and him happy. Older dogs can learn new tricks. good luck!
    mybritt

Answer by mybritt at 9:22 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• buy a spray called bitter apple @ petsmart. It worked wonders w/ my dog. read the directions
    papai

Answer by papai at 10:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• well there is always training classes but that can get expensive.
    i would just say kennel train him. you need to be loud when telling him no and mean it. if he still decied not to listen then place him in a kennel. you can try spraying him or giving him other options that will keep him from getting into trouble.
    well have fun and good luck
    tiffyxandre

Answer by tiffyxandre at 7:13 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• i have three dogs two of them boxers that are a year old and two years old. first off i would buy a crate and if he is doing all this stuff while you are gone keep him in there until you get home. all of these actions could be seperation anxiety. also look up NILIF on the internet and start practicing that in your home. it will help esablish that you are the boss and you make the rules not him. i'm sorry the dog wisperer isn't the best choice in my book. no offense to anybody who likes the dog wisperer.
    CassieLee0310

Answer by CassieLee0310 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Defiitely crate train him if he is doing this while you are gone, which will prevent destructive behavior. And contrary to the previous post the Dog Whisperer which you can find on the National Geographic channel and the show Its me or the Dog on Animal Planet have good tips if you cant afford training
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 11:04 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Be the one that is in control of ALL his meals. Dogs really dont "bite the hand that feeds them" My dog used to be the same way. I started being the one that feeds her and now she has a new respect for me and I love her!
    Krystallyn

Answer by Krystallyn at 8:53 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It sounds like the adult dog needs to be reminded that YOU are in charge. One method used is to attach the dog's leash to a belt around YOUR waist. He is controlled by your movements in a passive way. Another thing to consider is not allowing him into your bvedroom. Close it off with a gate or close the door. That way, you and your hubby can have your own private space from evryone.
    emtmom4

Answer by emtmom4 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 20, 2008