ER for my 17 month old?

So my daughter has had a high fever of 103 the past 2 days. It fluctuates back and fourth, but never completly goes away. We took her to Urgent care last night since she's been having trouble sleeping, like shes in pain. Found out she has an ear infection and a sore throat. Today.. i've never seen her act like this..she will fall asleep for MAYBE 30 min. Wake up SCREAMING at the top of her lungs. THE MIL is here, and of course Im having a hard time with her as well. I did speak to a nurse, they said call back if her fever spikes past 103. Im thinking she is having severe stomach pains. She will not eat..only drink water and a bottle IF she feels up to it..very sleep deprived she cant sleep..therefore neither are we Im freaking out thinking she should be hooked up to an I V. But my hubby and the MIL just say she has gas. Ive never heard a child SCREAM like she does about "gas". Any advice helps.thank u!

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 6:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When there is an ear infection laying down can increase pressure on the ear canal cause severe pain. You can drop some warm olive oil in the ear to help with the pain and a warm wet wash cloth over the ear. Alot of times children will not eat with a sore throat. It is normal to lose their appetite when they don't feel well.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• What comes to mind is that the med may be causing a tummy ache, or her throat may hurt more now that it did before as the illness runs its course. If it should be gas, try burping her as you would a little baby- hold her over your shoulder and pat or rub her back gently. See if she would take some applesauce or sherbet. Or some warm broth.

Answer by Bmat at 6:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Everytime my neice has an ear infection she will only sleep for short periods of time and wakes up screaming at the top of her lungs. She is your child so I say go with your instincts.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 6:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sorry I forgot to say don't let her sleep laying down. That will help with the pressure.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If she's sleeping and waking screaming, it does sound like a reaction to medication (if they gave her some)....some meds will give kids bad or what we would consider freaky dreams. I can't give my kids triaminic, for example. OMG! The screaming!

It could also be pain from the ear infection. It takes a couple of days for the medicine to kick in (again, if they gave her some).

If you're concerned, take her in to the doctor. Your husband an MIL be hanged...better safe than sorry!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• A trip to the doctor is needed IF the fever hits 103 for three days in a row. So far, it's been 2 days.
    A trip to the doctor is needed IF the fever hits 103 AND won't come down with meds. You say it comes down with meds.
    A trip to the ER is needed IF the fever goes over 104. So far, so good.

Don't worry about the food intact. She has body fat to carry her over the infection. All that matters is fluid. Get pedialyte into her. They make popsicile style ones - they are sold on the same shelf as the liquids, you just have to freeze them. The extra cold may feel good to her.

If she has an ear infection, she is in a lot of pain. My mom still tells stories of rocking my brother for hours on end, with him just screaming and sobbing in her arms.

I know you feel helpless. But she just needs love, comfort, and time. You can give her the first 2 while waiting out the last one. Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009