my sons going to be 4 next month and hes still not potty trained. hed rather cry then go to the potty what should i do?

i ask him if he needs to and every other time i ask ill set him on the potty but he'll cry and say he doesnt want to or that he cant. i even did the sticker thing like every time he goes potty he gets a sticker to put on his board. but sometimes he'll say he doesnt want a sticker what should i do.

coolmom89

Asked by coolmom89 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him cry and make him go 4 years old is far far to old to not be potty trained my son has been done since before his 3rd bday and it was hard but you have to MAKE them do it..... and ur gonna have people say ohhhhh let him do it when he is ready well.... thats when you get 4 and 5 year olds that arent potty trained!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Trust me, you're not alone. I'm having some challenges with my four year old as well. One of the best things I've done that's actually worked is put him on a schedule. I make him go to the potty at least once every hour and a half. I try to time it so that he goes within 15 minutes after a meal. So far that's been working. He won't initiate it on his own most of the time but, it's a start. I hope this helps. There are a few potty training groups here on CafeMom. You may want to steal some tips from them as well. Good luck!
    MonicaJaye

Answer by MonicaJaye at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son wasn't potty trained until 16 days before he turned 4. Labor day to be exact. And he fought me tooth and nail. But, we went to my parents house on Labor day for his and his cousin's bday parties and I put him in underpants and told him that I was out of diapers or pull ups and he can go in his pants if he won't be a big boy and use the potty. Poof..............worked like a charm. Came home, no more pull ups. We went to the store and the choice was either he could have a toy or pull ups but not both. He chose the toy and a week later changed his mind. I told him too bad and it was not even a memory anymore.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Hun you are not alone!I tried from the time my son hit 18 mths.I tried EVERYTHING!!Finally 3 mths before he turned 4 I talked to his pedi and he said to not make such a big deal about it...and a week later POTTY TRAINED!!!!I think he will do it when he is ready.Trying to force him will only make it worse.Kids go by their pace not ours.And after reading so many of these potty training posts it seems that most boys are not fully trained til around 4.Dont stress momma you will get there!
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 7:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Don't put anything but undies and clothes on him...even at night...trust me...he'll get tired of having wet pants...if he has an accident have him be involved in the clean-up...it takes work but it's worth it in the end...
    Anonymous

• Listen hear my little girl was potty tran bye 1 1/2 u have to bet that a$% thats all.
    Anonymous

• My son was potty trained at 3, because his sister age 1 1/2 was already trained. She hated being wet. I think boys are just harder or more stubborn. My son is now 6 years old. He will go to the potty every time all day long, but at night he consistently wets the bed. I have put him back into a pull-up at night because I am tried of washing sheets every single day. The only time he will wet himself during the day is when he is mad at me, but even that hasn't happened since he started Kindergarten. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My son just turned 3 and he is starting to go to the potty only if I take him. I think he wants to go now cause his twin sister is in big girl panties. He wants to put his underwear on over his diaper. I'm going to start taking him about every 30 minutes. I've always heard boys take a little longer.
    Heather28677

Answer by Heather28677 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'M A GRANDMOTHER OF A 4 YEAR OLD GRANDSON, THIS IS HOW I POTTY TRAINED HIM, I INTRODUCED HIM TO THE POTTY AND EXPLAINED THE DIFFERENCE IN HIS POTTY AND OUR POTTY, AND ALSO EXPLAINED THAT HE HAD TO LEARN ON THIS POTTY BEFORE HE COULD USE THE POTTY LIKE DADDY, NO MOTHER INVOLVED HERE, AND I WOULD SIT ON THE BIG POTTY AND HE'D SIT ON HIS POTTY FOR 15 MINUTES, AND JUST DO THIS EACH TIME LIKE EVERY30-45 MIN, AND JUST TALK REG TALK OR ASK HIM QUESTIONS OF GENERAL THINGS OF HIS INTEREST, I USED THIS TIME TO TELL HIM, HE'LL GROW BIG LIKE DADDY AND HE'D KNOW HOW IT'S DONE, BUT HE FINALLY USED THE POTTY BUT OF COURSE I HAD TO SIT ON THE BIG ONE, (JUST PRETEND TO USE, NOT IN REAL GEAR) HE THEN ONE DAY WENT AND DID IT ALL BY HIMSELF AND HE WAS SO PROUD OF HIMSELF, SO WHEN DADDY CAME HOME WE PRAISED HIM BIG AND TOOK HIM OUT TO EAT, BEEN GOING EVER SINCE................................GOOD LUCK
    c.barbara

Answer by c.barbara at 10:57 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• wow the chick who said beat his butt was rude. WIth my son he just turned 3 and for about 4 monthes he screamed every time he went on the potty so i gave him an M&M when he sat on it till he would just do it then i took the treat away and told him he had to use the potty before getting one about 2 weeks later he started using the potty. We let him lead potty training because i didn't want to push it and it paid off. Our 21 month old now wants to be like her brother.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2009