What age did you switch your infant from formula to whole milk?

i took my son to the dr today for a check up and she had said that when he turns 12 months to switch him off of his formula and to start giving him whole milk instead. I was just really suprised because i thought he would be on formula alot longer. This is my first child so i was looking for some experienced mommy's advice on this.

MattysMommy143

Asked by MattysMommy143 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have 4 kids and with all of them I started introducing them to whole milk around 10 months old. By the time they were 11 or 12 months old they were on whole milk.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 6:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• at 12 months their bodies are more likely to adjust to whole milk, but that does not mean they should just get switched to it. If you want to wean him from formula to whole milk, make it a slow transition and see how he takes it. My dd doesn't drink whole milk as a "meal" or for nutrition, it's not needed as you can find all the nutrients in food. She was a nursed baby though, I did introduce milk to her, but she doesn't drink it and only has it in cereal and in other foods haha.

You don't have to change over immediately, so don't feel hurried into it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• With both of my children I switched at 1 year. If I ran out of formula a week before their birthday, I went ahead and switched. My 2nd son did not take the switch well so I did 1/2 formula mixed with 1/2 milk and then started warming his milk and eventually got him to whole milk. At first he didn't drink it that well but he ate well so I wasn't worried. He ate a lot of yogurt and I always supplement milled flax seed and wheat germ into hils meals. Now he drinks more milk than he eats.

It's really up to your individual child. If he/she is ready then do it. But don't panic if he's a few months past a year and still doesn't like it. Make it gradual.
    Ajima

Answer by Ajima at 6:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• 8 months.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• 12 months is what the doctors says
    Anonymous

• My First child was 9 months only because she refused to nurse or drink formula
    My second was 10 months and it was same reasoning with the first son.
    lesliekaym27

Answer by lesliekaym27 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i started giving my son whole milk at 12 months, and he had major constipation problems. so then i put him on 2% milk instead, we was on that for 4 months. has been back on whole milk for about 1 month and has had no problems. doctor said that what i did wasnt good because they need the fat from the whole milk... but i didnt want him to be in pain..
    jakesmom817

Answer by jakesmom817 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• my son is 14 months and we've just recently gotten him off formula 100% due to illness and my own selfish reasons, He had a bottle of formula til 3 weeks ago - but he still gets milk in a bottle at bedtime now because he is not a cuddler and that's my only cuddle time with him - plus, he doesn't seem to like milk any other time -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I waited till she was a year ...I wasn't going to switch her to whole milk early just because it was cheaper....
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I waited til 12m but also still gave him formula once a day. Til about 15m.
    Anonymous