What age did you switch your infant from formula to whole milk?

i took my son to the dr today for a check up and she had said that when he turns 12 months to switch him off of his formula and to start giving him whole milk instead. I was just really suprised because i thought he would be on formula alot longer. This is my first child so i was looking for some experienced mommy's advice on this.

MattysMommy143

Asked by MattysMommy143 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they switch when they turn 1
    marci2babies

Answer by marci2babies at 6:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I switched mine at 12 mos.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm not there yet (she is just going on 8 months) but at 11 months I will start mixing some in with her formula and seeing if she reacts to it, and then at 12 months I will switch her completely.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• 12 months is normal
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• 1 year.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• a year old..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• A year is typical.
    My three...
    #1~11 1/2 mths I started mixing to get him used to it all and then by a year he was fully on it.
    #2~Did the same but it didnt work out the same way so he was a bit over a year when we fully switched.
    #3~10mths
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The doctor had us switch our boys at 9 months and to 2%.

They were on all table foods, eating a balanced diet and no food problems. There wasn't a need for formula any longer for nutrition and as they were at the top of the charts (all three of them) so they didn't need the extra fat in whole milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My dr. had me switch to whole milk at 1 yr but i still get the next step formula thats 9-24 months cause there are days that he doesnt want the milk. He dr. didnt seem to mind so its really up to you basically if he doesnt take to the milk right away then the next step formula would be just fine till he gets used to the milk. My son has finally decided he likes milk but still wants the occasional formual bottle and as far as i have been told thats completely normal.
    Butterfly07Mama

Answer by Butterfly07Mama at 6:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I awitched mine at around 10 months.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009