i also wondered to my previous post

if you went back and told the state i don't want to claim any more child support and i'm not currently working how would the state get back the money they are owed for assistance i would of received from them? i have heard of people who get assistance for yrs and never had to pay anything back and yet i do. which i don't mind since it think its fair but i don't think it's fair that i should if others aren't asked to pay back and continue to use the system to live off. i get minimal help from state. a few food stamps which i wouldn't need if they didn't take the other half of my child support payment. i could use other half for the food we need. the system is back wards. so how would they get paid back from people who never work or never get any child support like i do?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's called tax payers! People who work pay for it.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• when i say help from them i mean i got cash assistance to help live on while they worked their way to get the money from him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The longer you sit on assistance the more they're going to take. The state will collect any money paid to you from your ex. You will not receive your full amount of child support until that is paid back.
    Anonymous

• duh i understand that. but that didn't answer my question.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Duh, yes I did. Your ex will have to pay it back. I reapeat again....The state will collect any money paid to you from your ex
    Anonymous

• the question is: so how would they get paid back from people who never work or never get any child support like i do?
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• it almost seems not worth working for, doesn't it? i guess that is how those people feel when they live off the system like heck if i get a job i loose all the help i get and i can't make ends meet with what i get paid. i'm happy my ex finally got his crap together and started paying his child support. i feel bad for the women still getting burned and their children living off welfare. it's no way to live. can't wait till they are all paid back but they are taking his money are not applying it to his arrears. see other post.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm still not understanding why they are making you pay it back in the form of your child support. Yes your ex is technically paying that but you aren't getting the money that was owed to you by him at the time when he wasn't paying. I still think you need to talk to someone. My grandparents had to get cash assistance when I was a child b/c my parents abandoned my sister and myself and they never paid anything back...when social services caught up with my parents they were the ones paying it back b/c they were the ones that should have been supporting us.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 11:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You said "if I do not want to claim anymore child support..." just b/c you drop your support doesn' mean the debt goes away. He would still have to pay it and they would still make him until it's caught up. If you NEVER claimed child support then us working class people would be paying it back with taxes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• It will go to his arrears when he's done paying back what you got from the state. It is worth it to go to work b/c YOU are responsible for supporting your child, not the taxpayers. Assistance is meant to fall back on, not live off of. And 2 incomes should be raising the child, not one off of child support
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2009