I would just like some opinions from real moms regarding having some drinks while breastfeeding. Seems to be some conflicting answers out there!

michiganmommy11

Asked by michiganmommy11 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you joined a breast feeding group? They are very encouraging and insightful. Good luck!
    bethelann2004

Answer by bethelann2004 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• When I was breastfeeding and wanted a drink I heard conflicting things as well.
    What I read and what I gathered from ALL the advice is that one, maybe 2, drinks is ok but if you want more to pump ahead of time and give your body overnight to let things get out of your body completely.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If you breastfeed to give your baby only the best, why would you take the chance with alcohol?
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, that was rude and uncalled for. She's asking for advice, not bashing. There are perfectly safe ways to treat yourself to a drink while breastfeeding.

The most consistent thing I've heard/read is that for each drink, wait one hour to breastfeed. Alcohol metabolizes in your breastmilk the same way it does in your blood. So there is NO need to pump & dump.

If I want to enjoy a drink or two, I make sure I have milk pumped so that I can give my baby a bottle.

Less than 2% of alcohol you consume reaches your breastmilk.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• she said she would like opinions and one was given. I don't see anything wrong with asking a legitimate question and i wonder the same thing: if you want to do the best for your baby why would you drink alcohol at all taking even the slightest chance?
    Anonymous

• My doctor suggested that i have 1 glass of wine a night to relax both me and my son. the entire time i nirsed i went out drinking one night and then did not nurse (they say for everydrink dont nurse for 2 hrs) and it was very hard emotionally on me and my son. honestly at first i was like oh i cant wait to go out and have a drink(i got pregnant on my 21st birthday!) but then i just really didnt want to drink. i haven't nursed my son in 5 mos now and i rarely ever have a drink! But check with your pediatrician, the safe bet if u go out and drink liquer dont nurse for 24hrs but remember to still pump everytime your son eats so your supply is not damaged.
    MattysMommy143

Answer by MattysMommy143 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We take chances every day. Driving our cars, feeding our children processed foods, sending our kids to school. I say choose your battles and a drink or two won't do any serious long term damage as long as it is done in moderation.
    Anonymous

• I say, why take the chance? can't people refrain even when theyre BFing. Who cares what the percentage is that passes thru your system, why would you want to put ANY of it in your baby. The same reason you don;t take certain meds or do drugs. Whats the difference.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009