I am having a schedule c-section and everytime I go to my apt. my OB wont check...

If I am dilating he tells me there is no need because I am having a c-section.
My question is if your having a schedule c-section does your OB check if your dilating?

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• mine did just to make sure i didnt go into labor before the c section...id ask for a second opinion and demand the he check
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I haven't reached that part of my pregnancy yet. And yes I'm having a scheduled C-section. I'd imagine since you have to be dialated to push the baby out vaginally, that would be why they check if you're dialated. If you're having a c-section, the dr. is right, there's no reason to see if you've dialated, the baby isn't coming out that way.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Nope. Never once was checked. If you go into labor the just tell you not to wait and come straight to the hospital.
    thethings

Answer by thethings at 6:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Nope mine didnt unless I insisted(which I did with my second child cuz I was curious if my body knew how to dialate...it didnt).
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 6:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• They did once but only b/c I was having a problem and they wanted to make sure I didn't go in to labor too early... and honestly, the doc is right. It doesn't matter if you are dialating or not. Even if you weren't having a c-section they don't usually start checking you until week 34 or so. So at that point, there's no point. IF you go in to labor then they will do the section then
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Hey, getting your cervix checked isn't the most comfortable thing. I actually would rather leave it alone when I went to the dr, and I had 4 kids. The cervix may be dialating, but it doesn't always mean anything. You can be walking around 7 cm dialated for a week, or be closed up like a clam and bam! Its time. Be glad your dr is doing you a favor and leaving it alone.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 6:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am 38 weeks pregnant and I told him I have been having pains and lots of pressure and he was like "well do you want me to check you?" and b4 I could answer he said well no cuz ur not having really bad pains but I think he should because I am having my c-section when I am 40 weeks and 2days not at 39 weeks like I should ={
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I know how it feels this is my 2nd pregnancy and I dont mind it at all.
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Checking the cervix can make you go into labor if you are already dilating and effacing so he probably doesn't want to risk that.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Checking your cervix can cause contractions, which is why some doctors try to avoid it -- if they feel it's unnecessary. Sorry you're not thrilled with your doctor. :(
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009