Count to 10 Yeah right!!!! HELP ME?

my sons pushed me over the edge.they took the gate off their door, took all their toys to the hallway and stairs (as if i dont have enough to clean) they got into their stockings and ate all the chocolate that was in them(they were in my room) destroyed atleast 10 books today,killed 4 toys.they fight constantly,are always screaming all this was going on while i was in the shower which usually doesnt cause a stink with them but today geeze anything they can do wrong they did.they usually are soo good in their room and dont bother the gate at all.i only put them in their when i need to get stuff done like laundry cooking or a shower otherwise they have free roam of the house.god help me before i go to far...i feel like i just want to spank the living daylights out of them and send them off to bed without dinner.am i being to harsh.what do i do.they are 2 and 4yrs old.

connorsmom22607

Asked by connorsmom22607 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your children are old enough to start helping out, especially the oldest. Pick up the toys themselves (oldest or you can help the 2 year old). They can help "clean" too. When you are preparing to do something, like a shower, make sure you set the rules and consequences of what the boys can do BEFORE you go in, make sure the oldest repeats the rules and consequences to you. If they cannot play together without causing a ruckus, keep the 2 year old in the bathroom with you when you take a shower while the 4 year old plays. Always be calm and matter-of-fact when setting rules and consequences and always follow through. Never make an empty threat. Offer them choices of things they can do while you are busy. Just some thoughts...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sound like a good idea. They sound like they need it badly. ( the spanking andd no dinner )

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well, I'd first tell the 4 year old............since he's older, that he needs to pick up every single one of the toys he's taken out and put them away. And tell him no dinner until it's done. (He won't starve....promise.) The two year old is tricky, he should be able to help pick up the toys and he should try. As for mom................sounds like it's dad's turn to take the reigns for the night! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• dads a marine and wont be home till tomorrow night they are shooting on the range ( im used to him being gone..lol) they go to day care tomorrow so YAY there
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have found, for me, that when I'm totally at my breaking point I just put the kids in their rooms for say 15-30min so I can sit and cool down. my kids have babylocks on the inside of their rooms so they can't get out.
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 7:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• oh honey! BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put them in their rooms and tell them they can't come out until they are smiling and are willing to pick up their toys.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would spank their butts and put them to bed after dinner.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i gave them their dinner in their rooms..nothing messy just some cereal with dried fruit in it...and gave them yogurt milk and put them in there for the night...god i need a beer lol
    connorsmom22607

Answer by connorsmom22607 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Cabin fever!! You and the boys. When mine get that way, I make a day out. Today we went to "Bounce Town". Its in a industrial park, and its a huge space filled with inflatable bouncy things. They burn off a lot of energy.

PS... there was a day not so long ago that my twins emptied everything, and I mean everything, out of their room, and tossed in down the basement stairs. Clothes, toys, the lamp.... all while I was in the bathroom for about 5 minutes.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 7:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Have them clean it up & if they don't/won't - take the toys away. Explain to them that since they can't take care of them - they can't have them.
    Tomorrow they can earn them back.
    Anonymous