Does anyone know any remedies for those random hormonal itchy hand rashes during pregnancy?

I'm 16w4d pregnant and lately started having itchy hands... the palms and the backs and between my fingers will itch and get little bumpy rashes for no reason. I haven't used anything out of the ordinary as far as soaps/lotions go and I've never been allergic to anything, so I was wondering if anyone knows of some kind of relief for this pregnancy-induced itch!

Amanda_Jeanne

Asked by Amanda_Jeanne at 6:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You need to be careful with creams and lotions. If they have a steroid in them, they are not safe during pregnancy. Call the doctor and ask for an approved list of meds and creams and they will steer you straight.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 7:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• OK, well most lotions ARE safe. I use Burt's Bees hand cream and I love it!!! I think what she is talking about are things like bengay and that... regular lotions are okay, esp. on your hands
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• There are 2 conditions that can cause this type of itching..........neither of which can be handled by anything no matter what you do. One is PUPPPs and the other is ICP.............google them. They are PUPPPs rash is hormone induced and NOTHING clears it up, except birth. Check into it otherwise, you can try benedryl..............that is approved to use while preggers by my doc.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I know that benadryl is safe to take during pregnancy. It's also relatively inexpensive and readily available. I would try that first. Also, be sure to ask your doctor about this at your next appt, ESPECIALLY if it happens to start developing in other areas as well. You could have PUPPPs or obstetric cholestasis. I feel for you and hope that you find some relief soon!
    proud_mommy_87

Answer by proud_mommy_87 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• In addition to the hormonal rashes, you might want to make sure it isn't a parasitic rash like scabies. I know sounds gross, sorry.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009