Does anyone still use a pack and play to keep there kids in when there not sleeping?

I take care of a 19 month old boy and he is nothing but trouble right now. He dumbs out and throws all the toys out and just looks at me when I tell him no. So I put him the pack and play with a few toys. All he does is hit the older boys with toys and make a mess. Is it wrong to keep him in there? Don't think it's going to work anyways he's trying to climb out.

Deb79

Asked by Deb79 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well i never had to use a pack n play... the only time i used it was when i wasnt at home and my daughter needed to take a nap!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• WE were put in play pens and it was ok back in the 80's and kids now a days are so out of control and I think it's ok as long as he's not in it all day long.
    Deb79

Answer by Deb79 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The only reason I would use a play-pen for my boys was because of other kids poking on them or if we were somewhere where they had curious pets...Otherwise they were free to crawl on the floor at home. I had a designated place for toys and kept everything babyproofed. If you are caring for a problem child that isn't yours I would talk with the parents. When I babysat kids I wouldn't keep kids in my home that were mean to others, it's not fair to the children and I didn't need the money that bad.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 7:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have to agree that you need to speak to the parents of the kid about doing it.

I'll also offer that my oldest was able to tip a pack-n-play at 15 months. He was in it, held on to the long side and started shaking it...by the time I made it across the room to stop him, the back side was about 6" off the floor!

Wedge that sucker in so it can't tip! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We use our play pen for travel ... it's basically a spare crib. Try to find safe activities to play with him and the other children.. it seems like he wants attention.. and putting him in an enclosed area alone.. wont help the problem but only encourage him to lash out more to get attention. i have a 14 month old and she doesn't listen to "no" either.. she just repeats it back like it's a game. Instead of trying to stop him from doing things and always saying no.. encourage him to do something fun with everyone. Still say no when he does something wrong .. but quickly distract him with something else that is a good activity.
    momofeliza

Answer by momofeliza at 7:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I use it for a calm down location for my toddler. I sat where I can see him just in case he climbs out
    Anonymous

• I use it for sleep and play. My apt is very small and we had to have my baby stay in our room,a crib would not fit. I already had the pack in play so continued to use it. Now he can climb out of it, I will not leave him alone when he is awake. Since you are babysitting I would ask the parents what they would like you to do.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 18 months and we rarely use it anymore but we did when she was younger. I am disgusted at how many parents do not use a pack n play and instead hold your children while doing the cleaning and cooking...I would put her in for no longer than an hour ...probably about a 1/2 hr a day just to get dinner ready or if I didn't finish cleaning during her nap I would put her in there and she would play with some toys. That's where she was safest.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sometimes when my daughter (12 months) needs a time out, I put her in there with no toys so she sees that she is being punished. Then if I just need a minute to do something, I put her in it or her crib with toys. I dont know if its the "best" thing to do, but it works if she/he needs a minute, or if YOU need a minute.
    LovelyLisa22

Answer by LovelyLisa22 at 1:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2009