Help! What can I do?

My husband has been laid off for 4 weeks and we are running out of money. He is constantly looking for a new job, but we live in a tiny town and with todays economy there;s no luck. It's looking like it's going to be a permanent lay off. I've been a stay at home mom and I'm looking for a part time job to help. No luck there either. This is so embarrassing, but where can I go for food? We have a whole $5 left to our name. We have an appointment set up to apply for food stamps, but what can I do until then. Please, no rude remarks. I can't take it. I'm having a hard enough time without criticism. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call local churches .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Seek assistance from local churches or food banks?
    Anonymous

• Do you have family that could westurn union you some money to hold you over?
    Anonymous

• No, unfortunately no one in my family is too well off. And I can't find a food bank in my area. Maybe I can try churches though.
    Anonymous

• i feel you, we live in a town with few jobs and both are unemployed. i would start with local churches or city food banks, also try wic although they have a age restriction of up to 5 yrs i think. we've had to eat off ramon noodles for a week or so. apply for unemployment asap which you can do online. it's quicker that way also when you go to your appt for food stamps have them give you a list of food banks just to have for future reference.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Is there an angel food ministry by you they have good prices but the problem is they do it once a month. you can try the dollar store to hold you over. Definatly apply for unemployment. and try to cancel everything you dont need. I hope things get better keep us updated.
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 7:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We have applied for unemployment...we just have to wait for a check. I'm trying to stick with making cheap things right now such as sandwiches, spagetti o's (44 cents if u buy the off brand at walmart!), eggs, and cheap cereals. Any cheap meal ideas would be great! =)
    Oh! And we have WIC, but it only gets milk, cheese, cereal, and juice mainly...so it's helping, but it's not enough.
    Anonymous

• Sometimes social services can give you emergency food or vouchers also see if you qualify for expidited services whivh happens in 1-2 days.
    Anonymous

• Don't feel ashamed! This is just how things are now, it sucks and it's happening to people everywhere! PM me, i'm full of ideas

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Call your local food bank or a church...

http://feedingamerica.org/?show_shov=1

http://www.efoodnet.org/referral.htm

Some links for you.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 9:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009