4 times in an hour?

For your first baby, I guess you're suppose to go to the hospital if you have 4 or more contractions in an hour. This is my first baby and I'm 32 weeks and 4 days, so I was wondering does Braxton Hicks count and (this will probably sound dumb but I really don't know) when my stomach is hard to the touch for about a min. is that a Braxton Hicks contraction?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you get them if your laying down try walking around to see if they go away
    and yes its a braxton but its a contraction but a mild contraction
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i didn have bad contractions for 12 hours just a few an our and then finally went to the hospital and i was in labor so sometimes it can be time
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 7:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• its actually 6 or more in an hour. that would make them about 10 min apart. and no braxton hicks do not count, that is false labor. time them and do it for more than just one hour do it a little bit longer to ensure they are consistent or not. ive been having contractions for like 4 weeks. i even had 6 in an hour then 5 and i still havent had her lol. if you feel you need to though still call your doctor and let them know.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 7:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Braxton hicks don't count towards labor. They are false contractions, sort of like "preparing you" for the real deal. You will know the difference because braxton hicks don't progress, they just go away. If you drink water and lay down on your left side, they should subside.

Also since you are at 32 weeks, if you feel you are in labor call labor and delivery or your OB and ask them, they can tell you whether or not to go to the hospital. :)

When you are beyond 36 weeks, they wont usually stop your labor (or they shouldn't) and you shouldn't go to the hospital unless your contractions are 4 min apart, 1 min long, for 1 hour. Otherwise you could get stuck there and rushed through labor and that is not a good thing. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Depends on your doctor. My doctor said if it was Braxton Hicks or labor and it was more than 4 times in an hour she wanted me to go to the hospital.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009