Whats the stupidest thing you did as a teenager, and what will you do differently as a parent to prevent those behaviors in YOUR children??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Stupid me had sex with the first guy I ever dated. At the time I thought everyone "did that." Ugh.

I'll make sure to educate my kids and let them know that they DON'T have to sleep with the first person they fall in love with.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Stupidest thing I ever did was have unprotected sex. What I would do to keep my kids from it? Well I already have teenagers and I can say that I have provided them with condoms and contraception and have an open relationship. So far each of my teens have come to me with questions about sex and birth control.

Answer by gemgem at 8:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am not at all proud of this, but when I was 18 I started seeing a married man. He was my manager at work and we had a very flirtatious relationship for about a year before I turned 18, but nothing else. The day I turned 18, he started pursuing me much harder, and being very young and naieve, I fell for it. It only lasted a couple of months, and he and his wife were in the process of seperating, but I know now that doesn't make it right. As for what I will do differently, I will talk more openly to my kids so they aren't as naieve. My parents never talked to me about sex or relationships, I pretty much had to figure it all out on my own.
    Anonymous

• lets see..would that be standing on the open window edge of two separate cars one driving on the wrong side of the road....or what it be my years as a trustee of chemical science..I dunno both equally as stupid. What did I do to prevent it. I followed up on my kids when they told me they wer going someplace. Occaisionally Id call or drop by...just to see if they were. They learned soon enough that Mom could pop by anytime. Funny thing is thats what they always told their friends....but my youngest tells me now he used it as an excuse not to do the stuff they wanted him to do sometimes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The stupidest thing I ever did as a teen was not run away sooner! I plan on actually having a decent relationship with my kids and treating them like real people. I don't plan on teaching them that drugs are okay but I won't be surprised when they try them. That's part of growing up... As for sex... Go for it. Have fun. Just do it safely and I won't say a word. I did all that as a teen... Lots of sex, lots and lots of drugs and alcohol... I don't regret a single min.
    Anonymous

• There is a character limit here so......the list is too long to even begin. I am very close to my children. We have a loving and mutual respectful relationship. They can and do come to me with all sorts of things that I could never have gone to my parents about. Nothing is forbidden as far as topics or feelings. I hope (and thus far it has workedI that this will be the key that was missing for me when I was young and much much more than just dumb.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I started smoking at 13, I have talked to my boys about it and hope they understand the importance of not smoking.... BTW I don't smoke anymore.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 9:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Lets see. I had a tough life and such. And had a step mom that told me that my mother was a peice of S*** and blah blah blah. So I stole her car to run away and got caught for GTA. So I'm going to be a more loving and respectufl parent. Open minded and such.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 10:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I stole 3 grand from my mother and spent it all on Coke(not the soda) Broke into a house(well i was a watch dog)Broke into a house that was for sale and swam in the pool. What will i do? I worry about it everyday lol..Once the moment comes im sure i will be fine and take care of it.But i just hope i can be better them my parents

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I shoplifted from Six Flags. We were banned for the rest of the year. I don't know what I can do to prevent that with my kids. I had a great childhood. My parents were fairly strict, but completely fair at the same time. I hope I am half the parents that mine were.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 10:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009