Do you think it's important for your child to grow up believing in a God?

I asked this in a religious debate group and thought I'd reach it out there a bit more.

I personally believe it's very important for a child to grow up with religion, learning that they came from somewhere important and having that stable influence in their lives. I will be taking my children to church with me and teaching them about Heavenly Father, and Jesus as well as teaching them the stories in the scriptures.

What do you think?

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 8:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I'm Christian and so obviously I believe it is extremely important to teach my children about God. In fact if I withheld that information from them their sins would be on my head. I do NOT feel it is important to teach them about other religion's "God". He is not the God I believe in and I'm not under the requirement to teach them different religions than that of what I believe. When they are old enough to question their faith, as most people do, they will investigate that on their own and I will support them in doing so....even if I disagree with what they determine as "right".
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I do not believe in god, however I do believe that everyone should decide for theirselves. So as my daughter gets older and can understand I will explain it to her and she will have the option to believe in whatever it is she wants to believe in. I feel having a religion is an extremely personal decision and it's not my job to push or pull either way.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think its great to learn about religion! My daughter comes from a 2 religion family and she will definately learn about both and will decide what she wants to be as she gets older. God is good!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think it's important for a child to grow up believing in faith, whatever form of faith that is, is completely up to the parents. I have raised my children believing in God but we are by NO means religious. I have a very close and personal relationship with God and so do my children but everyone believes differently and that is their choice.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 8:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• No to me it is not important, but she can decide that for herself when the time comes.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

•  We pray every night at dinner and we pray to "the powers that be." I am agnostic so I plan on educating DD about all different religions and different religious aspects. I am confident she will make her own decision someday.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My SO and I don't believe in a higher power, and therefore there really isn't much exposure to religion in our house. If it is a decision my daughters make in their adult lives, I wouldn't discourage it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i agree that we should teach our children in God. i plan to take my son to a christian preschool. We take him to church already.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 9:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Being a Christian household, for us, it is VERY important that our children grow up knowing Christ and grow up IN Christ.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yes.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009