how do you potty train a child that refuses to use the toilet?

i have a 3 year old and we were doing so good and then all of a sudden she stopped using the potty. i am divorced and every other weekend throws her off when she leaves me. can someone please give me some advice! it is time she start wear panties...i don't want her getting behind!

krislynsmom

Asked by krislynsmom at 9:17 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't worry too much... I'd say to put her in diapers for a while & give her a break for a little bit. She might start using the toilet on her own. Ask her every day if she wants to use the toilet... if she says no, then don't force it. She will come around soon.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• It might be time to try some potty "incentives" maybe some new character panties (it took getting some Hello Kitty panties and Tinkerbell panties to get my four year old going)or a nifty toddler flush seat. I agree with crazysocks830, she may just need a bit of a break. If you try to push it with toddlers, they get determined to do the opposite of what you would like them to do. She's only three, all kinds of time yet.
    sammysunshine72

Answer by sammysunshine72 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Fact is, even though it's a regresion... It shouldn't last for very long. Children should never be forced or expected to meet certain goals before they're ready, even if it's one she's previously accomplished. I'm sure you've already summed up as much but she is understandably shaken from the going back and forth so the using a diaper or training pants is going back to something she's been comfortable with before. It's like some older kids who go through divorce who start hanging on to a blankie again or start sucking their thumb again, it's just for comfort. You can definetly try "incentives" but ultimatly she'll want to feel like a big girl again soon so she'll start using the potty when she's ready. Also, babying her may worsen the problem but don't neglect her feeling either. Just give her the love she needs and the comfortable environment she will love.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 12:40 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• If she is refusing you cant make her lol i learned the hard way. my daughter just turned 3 last month and decided one day she wanted to use the potty. Once they decide they want to do it it goes alot smoother and they train much faster. i think she has maybe a hand ful of accidents in the last month and a half. and most of them came after the new baby. u can try all the incentives in the world but if she doesnt want to do it shes not going to. back off alittle bit she will come around.
    amandap1705

Answer by amandap1705 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2008