after birth

do you HAVE to go on birth control? what if your not planning on having sex until past the 6 weeks?
what are the affects on being 17 and on birthcontrol?

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well you really shouldn't have sex until after the 6 weeks anyway to give your body time to heal, but you need birth control and you should start it early because it takes a while to really work. Depending on what kind of birth control you are on you could have several side effects. Some types of birth control can cause you to have spotting off and on, some can cause you to have shorter periods, some cause longer periods in some people. You should definitely discuss all the options with your doctor but unless you want to end up pregnant again sooner than you think, you should definitely get on some sort of birth control.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• U dont HAVE to do anything you dont want to and the affects of the pill on a teenager are the same as a "woman" the major sideaffects that MAY be experienced are slight weight gain, heavier or lighter or longer or shorter periods, less acne, decrease in pms symptoms, and a more regular cycle You have many other options such as the devo shot, nuva ring which is new the patch is back on the market, id talk to your dr about your options and figure out which if any are right for you.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 8:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• there are no affects really im 16 and on birth control i got the depo shot before i left the hospital and had the mirena put in when that was up. are you the one thats 17? are you pregnant now? i only waited for weeks not 6 and we used a condom at my 6 week appt my doctor said alot of people dont wait but be careful you can get pregnant very easy in those 6 weeks. you can message me with questions if you want [=
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I didnt do birth control after my 2nd child because I dont "do" BC..lol But.... you have to be very careful for the first few months when having sex. They offer it to you because it is the best idea but there is nothing medically wrong with not taking it!
    mmharper90

Answer by mmharper90 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Most don't start it until six weeks later, anyway. The negative side effects (which you might not get anyway!) vary from form to form, and some extra spotting is worth having if it means avoiding bringing another child into the world when you're not ready!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You don't HAVE to go on birth control after giving birth. I was told by a jerky doctor (who was mean to me just because I was pregnant at such a young age, even though I was married) that I needed to go on birth control afterward to make sure my body was regular again. I think, now, all he was doing was assuming I was some teenaged slut and he'd trick me into being on birth control by telling me I needed it. In the end, it screwed up my body. But I do have to say that after having a baby, your body is considered "extremely fertile" for the next 6-12 weeks after, so you MUST be careful.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 5:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009