I want to get the copper IUD but when will my OB out it in after birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no it wont go in til a little after your 6 week appt. and so you know alot of doctors advise against the copper iud its been dangerous to some people i have the mirena and i love it!
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• O really I didn't know that, I wanted it because my aunt has it and she said it works great. Mirena is for 5 years right?
    Anonymous

• yes and it can be taken out if you want to have another baby and theres no side effects like pills. the only thing that you have to worry about is using tampons. after youve had the mirena for so long you barely bleed and tampons an stick to the string on it and pull it out
    lovencasper5307

Answer by lovencasper5307 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It most likely won't go in until at LEAST six weeks after delivery, though it all depends on how well your body is healing. Now is the time to discuss birth control with your doctor. You can learn about all your options and make an informed decision on what's best for you. Don't wait until after baby, as you're going to be too busy to give this the thought it needs...not to mention you may start ovulating long before you think you need it and end up with another little one!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Here is some info on the Mirena from their website:
    Mirena is an IUD system that prevents pregnancy with the slow release of small amounts of levonorgestrel into the uterus. Levonorgestrel is a hormone commonly used in combination with oral contraceptives and other implants. The small amounts of levonorgestrel released by Mirena prevents pregnancy by reducing the normal monthly thickening of the uterus lining. Mirena also help thicken the cervical mucus which prevents passage of sperm through the cervical canal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have the copper iud, paraguard. There were problems with the ones years ago, but the paragard is fairly new. I love it and have had absolutely no problems with it, it has been almost 5 years.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:18 PM on Jan. 8, 2009