what is recimended for a one year old to eat

me and my soon to be ex are fighting for custody and i need help he is saying that she should be on baby foods when wic is saying that it is ok to give her grownup foods like meat veggies ect if they are not too hard for her to chew i really need some advice or a web sight that i can go to to find the answers im looking for

bugbug07

Asked by bugbug07 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Our kids ate everything we ate starting at 9 months!!!! Tell your ex to shut up...LOL
    mmharper90

Answer by mmharper90 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My 14 month old eats all table food. Of course, I cut it up small for her. She loves steamed veggies cut up (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, etc.,). She eats chicken cut up, and deli meat. Some meats I wouldn't, like steak and things like that b/c they are hard, even for adults to chew!
    Also, she eats soft fruits, crackers, whole green beans, peas, bread, waffles, black beans, garbanzos, avocados... all kinds of stuff! She eats potatoes mushed up, and casseroles, she's even had my chocolate cake! We've tried bits of tortilla, and those don't chew up well- so not those. If you do hot dogs, make the bits REALLY small- they are common choking agents! Just use your sense, and watch what seems easy for her to eat and what might she might not be ready for. Don't worry, you should be fine.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• mmharper90 thank u do you think that a judge that always goes with the mother and has a mess of kids himself will think like that too i knw that his kids never ate the damn baby food they always had mashed potatoes
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with mmharper tell him to shut up and you can give you child anything just cut certian foods up in small peices.
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• did anyones doctor say anything against it or did he tell you that it was ok if you felt it was what was best for your child i really need help my ex has me scared that cause i gave her grown up foods at 3 months cause she was always hungry and if i only feed her baby food she would wake up in the middle of the night with a stomach growl like she was hungry and wouldnt go back to sleep til she got feed so i started giving her mashed potatoes with no salt or pepper and she would sleep and not wake up til 8 or 9 in the morning
    bugbug07

Answer by bugbug07 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh you def have the judge on your side..YOU GO GIRL! LOL
    mmharper90

Answer by mmharper90 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Just remember, tho, that without a full set of back teeth, table food cannot be chewed and ground up (mashed). Baby's gums cannot mash food well enough for the stomach. The stomach then has to do all the work, which causes tummy distress. The food is then passed into the colon where the colon cannot absorb chunks, so the foods are pushed out of the body with no benefit of nutrition. Many parents do give table food, but that doesn't mean that the child is getting a full diet of nutrition. Often, little Ones and toddlers are given what adults think they will eat (fries, milk shakes, bread, hot dogs, pizza) but these are not foods that will help a fast growing baby grow up strong and healthy. I would probably compromise and be a little diff. and still continue my baby on baby food till she has a full set of molars. :) Just my 2 cents. Info backed up by dentists. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I didn't give my baby food that young (3m) but he is eating small cut up food now at 15 m and has been since about 12m. The judge will be looking at more important things then just the food you feed your baby. It is the over all care that you give your child that they will be looking at. Is your baby healthy and happy and growing right , playing with toys etc. Does the baby have a good place to live, etc. So if your only worry is the food your feeding your baby (WIC approved) then I won't worry. g/l
    Anonymous