Why do people have issues with gay/lesbian parents raising children?

Me and my parnter stacie are raising my son and sumtimes i see how ppl look at us in public. its horrible. me and my partner are not bad parents, we work, spend time with our son, and lead a regular family oriented life just like everyone else. i dont really care what ppl think about me becuase they are entittled to their opinions but so are we. we are all human so we should be treated equally. but i guess thats not the case at times. please give your thoughts and ideas on this issue if you want.

2momsandsuave

Asked by 2momsandsuave at 9:05 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• "a regular family" is viewed by most as a Male Father and a female mother so that is probably why people will give you looks just ignore people
    Anonymous

• some people are afraid of the unfamiliar.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:09 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• because those people are giant jackasses (the people having issues with your family... not you guys ;D )
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• But you're not a "normal" family. Doesn't mean that your family if wrong, it's just not a standard family. If I were to see you in a store, I'd think you were just two friends there with one of the two's child. If you're out there making a point to be noticed, then... what do you expect? And I don't mean that because you're a same sex couple. I don't particularly care to see the groping overboard stuff from different sex couples either. Might be a chance to that you're seeing something that isn't there if you're acting like "normal people". Smile and say hello and go on about your merry way.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:19 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• People are so close minded sometimes they can't understand how someone can be happy in a situation they see as wrong. It is sickening isn't it? Just ignore them, it sounds like you are living a good life, don't let anybody ruin it for you.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i don't agree with people being gay but i won't say that your bad parents cause you are. only concern i have is if this boy has any male role model in his life.well not at his age. it's not any different if i were single and raising a son when a male role model is needed in their life. so i hope that you have a guy to help your son be a guy. i'm grateful that my boys have a good male role model now after yrs of being single and not being able to relate to them cause of the opposite sex. i would certainly think you better then the parent who is a drug addict or women who stay with men who never commit and their life is chaos. those poor kids get hurt and abuse by seeing all the abuse. i hope one day my brother who is gay will have a baby of his own.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i hope what i said didn't come out wrong.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am so sorry you are treated that way. I think it is wonderful that you are raising your son in a two-parent family! Too many children today do not have that. I would say those are looks are ignorance and judgment. Ignore those. Focus on those like mine, looks of pride and happiness... proud that you are raising your son and living your life and happiness that you have your partner. Enjoy your family!
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 9:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• no it didnt melody, and im not offended either, the way i see it is my sons father isnt a role model at all. he doesnt work, i believe he still is doing drugs and is a total flake on his son. he is not trying to be a role model. so i have steped up and done my best to be a role model. no- im not a guy but my son has uncles and cousins and a grandpa that are there in his life. and as for the public affection when me and my partner do decide to hug or give a peck on the cheak it is descreat. i dont wanna see all that make out stuff either even if it was from a gay couple. its about character ya know?
    2momsandsuave

Answer by 2momsandsuave at 9:47 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I think the general public is scared of the unknown. Especially the older community. They were brought up to think being gay is bad and different and something you could recover from. At least all the old people I know! Even with me having a few tattoos and being a single mom gets comments or looks. All that matters is your son having a loving home and positive role models in his life. I would rather see a kid in a home with parents who get along than in a home with parents who fight all the time, gay or straight.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009