Creation - 6 literal days?

I see many arguments about creationism on Cafemom all the time. And arguments about evolution. I believe that God was the spark but I do not agree with a literal 6 day creation as we do not know how long a "day" was at the time of creation. A day could mean 24 literal hours or 24,000 years. I guess that is where I diverge from a lot of Christians.

So, as a Christian, do you believe in a literal 6 day creation or creation over time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think "most" Christians believe in a literal six-day creation. That's just an interpretation/misinterpretation by some more fundamentalist Christians.

The thing is the Hebrew word for day is "yom" and it doens't mean a literal 24-hour day. It's used throughout the bible to indicate a variety of differen type periods. In Genesis alone "yom" is used to indicate everything from at 12-hour period to an eternity. So the Bible itself doesn't even say the world was created in 6 24-hour days. See "Word Study Yom".

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• a day in heaven is like eternity here..so yes I do belive in the literal 6 days and nights that the Heavens and Earth were created. The bible isnt put there to confuse us.. Just remember God is POWERFUL and almighty I believe He could have done it in the blink of an eye!
    mmharper90

Answer by mmharper90 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• a day in heaven is like eternity here..so yes I do belive in the literal 6 days and nights that the Heavens and Earth were created.

You're contradicting yourself. If you believe a day in heaven is like an eternity here then you do not believe in the Literal 6-day creation. Heaven's time is not our time when referring tot he 6 literal days it is in reference to days as WE know them. 6 -24 hour periods.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Yeah Kristi.... I was going another direction and changed up...didnt mean to do that! So sorry for the confusion!
    mmharper90

Answer by mmharper90 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Who are we to say what one of Gods days is like? I believe in what the bible says...He created the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th. I am certainly not presumptious enough to believe I KNOW what one of Gods days is like..or how long it is.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:38 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This is one where I have trouble wrapping my head around it too. LOL My church teaches a literal 6 day (as in 6 - 24 hour periods) creation. But there is so much proof that the world is SO much older! Dinosaurs and humans? Huge time difference. Carbon dating? I watch too many of those dinosaur/Universe shows. LOL The 6 day creation just doesn't make sense to me.

Thank you eringobrough! That is wonderful information to know! I had never heard that before. I'll be looking at that site too, thanks a lot!
    Anonymous

• Now if you want a way to tie Creation to a literal 24 hour period for the 6 days as we know it I can do it. It involves some quantum physics and space time fluctuations, but I can do it. LOL
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• ROFL Kristi!
    Anonymous

• You have to take into account the formula for speed of light and such as objects were moving away from the initial point of the bang. The closer they were to the initial point, the shorter the time it is before it takes effect. So let's put God at the center of the Universe, let's say this is the point in which the Big bang occured. He makes light (with the initial bang along with the subsequent universe), but it'll take a good amount of time for that light to reach us depending on the distance. The light from our sun takes roughly 8 minutes and 20 seconds to reach us. It would take a cheetah running at 70mph running for 151 years at that speed to reach us. So let's move on to God creating man and all the animals. He created these one at a time, also he is still located at the center of the bang so his "plans, magic god dust, whatever" for the animals would take time to travel the distance across space to reach us.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Now you can assume he creates them one right after another to complete the work in a day. However you have to take into the mass of the "god dust" for the intended animal and the distance over which it has to travel and you have the animals arriving on earth at different stages in time based on their mass and distance traveled(One may take 5 years to get here another 25 million). Now also keep in mind that as he is doing this the universe is expanding at the same time so it takes even longer for his creations to reach the earth. In the midst of this the creations that have already reached the earth have been reproducing, and going through changes based on their environment, natural selection ,genetic mutation etc. In other words evolving. So while everything may have only taken God 6 days to make (in a literal 24 hour sense) it would take longer for it to reach earth.
    KristiS11384