I was wondering....

if any mom's have had to deal with a baby who's bum bleeds, fissuring??? while they have a bm. I took my DD who is 8 months old to see the nurse practisioner (dr on holiday) and she was pretty useless, telling me stuff I'm already doing or know.
What did you do to treat your baby's bloody bum?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would do one of two things. Either try to keep the bum dry. Like sit her on a towl for about 15min. let it air dry, then put a diaper on her. Or put cream on her butt and take care of it like a rash. Thats what I did with my son when he had that. (i used the cream) and it went away with in a few days.
    russian-mommy

Answer by russian-mommy at 10:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Wait. WHY is her bum bleeding? Is it from really bad diaper rash or is the cause unknown? If it's NOT from diaper rash she needs to have some tests done. If it is diaper rash I wouldnt use baby wipes to clean her up. Just a warm washcloth or really soft paper towel, The chemicals irritate. I would also leave her bum bare as much as possible. Maybe put her down for a nap with a cloth diaper underneath her and swap it out after about a half hour. I have always been told air is the best for diaper rash unless it is an infection of somekind whether it be fungal or yeast. Nystatin or monistat will help with a yeast and athletes foot cream will help if its fungal but I would try lots of air first
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• She is bleeding from inside her anus, she also has a tear there as well. She has a little pucker of skin that I had assumed was a hemmorhoide (sp?). She has the smallest little redness between her cheeks that the nurse was really concerned about. I'm still bothered by this!!!! It was the tinest of rashes, she wears cloth and like my other kids loves being naked, she spends alot of time without her diaper on. I believe the bleeding is from inside her bum which is why I took her to the dr office. I believe that because she already has what appears to be a hemmorhoide that she is likely fissuring, the bleeding that you get inside your rectum before a hemmorhoide actually surfaces.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Is she having normal bowel movements?? To be honest I would take her to a different Dr. Give us an update when you get it taken care of.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh . . . her poor little hiney . . . I hope she gets better soon!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009