Just when he seems to get better ...

My son is 3 months old and was diagnosed with a Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD) which is When there's an opening between the ventricles of the heart which causes a large amount of oxygen-rich (red) blood from the heart's left side is forced through the defect to the right side. It just seems like he is always sick and just when he seems to get better he gets sick again. Could the VSD have anything to do with this?

InfectiousSmile

Asked by InfectiousSmile at 9:20 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would certainly think so, but I'm not sure. I'd do some googling!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. The heart is the motor to get the infection fighting cells where they need to go. If there is a problem with the motor he may not be getting those white cells where they need to be when they need to be. But it's also cold and flu season and the more exposure to other kids he has the more likely he will continue to have the creeping crud not to mention the stuff mom and dad bring in from outside.cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I was in a church that was made up mostly of stay at home moms and kids who had never seen the walls of a daycare but we were a close church and had services three times a week. From October to May every kid in that church had a cough and a runny nose. It drove me nuts. But I would talk to your pedi about something to boost his immune system maybe. I cant imagine being sick all the time is good for his condition. But I hear ya on the just when it seems to be getting better, I'm going through the same roller coaster with my son
    humaniterian87

• my son has the same thing he was diagnosed at birth he is now 7 weeks he has been sick since birth and the vsd is what causes him to stay sick my son also has a lot of fluid around his lungs he is on med for them.
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009