what camera is a better choice?

my hubby is asking what is my dream camera , i am a ameture photographer and i am soon to take a photography course and i told him to buy me a starter camera until i get really good( just got a fuji fine pix S1000fd for my birthday in oct) and he says when i finish my class he will upgrade it but instead of the next version up from what i have he wants to just get me my end all be all camera(he's one of those go big or go home kinda guys) so i was looking around and i kinda like the Nikon D90, D60, and D40 x. And the D90 is the top of the line one outta all 3 should i just go for it or is there a better one out there that i should concider and if u have any lens suggestions that are good for action,distance, and portraite shoots that would be great too!

phoniex1

Asked by phoniex1 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• i have the d40 and i love it!!!!!!!!!!!! i just got a new 55-200 lens for christmas. i have been completely happy with mine, so i'm sure you can't go wrong with the bigger versions of these...
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have the D80. It's AWESOME!!! And their prices have dropped dramatically since the D90 came out.

The only real advantage with the D90 that you'd have (at least at this level) is that it can take video while the others can't.

Definetaly get the "kit" (camera + 2 lenses). In my opinion, too, the off-brand lenses work just fine. I have both a Quantaray & Nikon lense, and I can't tell the difference. I suppose if I blew them up super big I would....

Oh.. and get lenses that have a macro feature. Believe me... once you have it, you'll never want to give that up!

If you want samples --- just PM me. I'll be happy to share some photos with you and tell you what lense & setting I was using and all that.

Happy Camera Hunting!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Oh, one more thing -- avoid the "X" cameras. Their lenses are NOT interchangable with other models --- so that means you can't buy off-brand lenses (which can save you a TON of money), and if you upgrade to a newer model, you can't use those lenses on the new camera either.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have the D50 (a now discontinued model) and adore it. It came with a 28-70mm lense that has been great for all around stuff and a 70-300mm that I didn't use much cause it was a cheap brand that didn't hold up well. Hubby bought me a 50mm for Christmas that I haven't had much chance to play with yet but so far really dig it since it's good for low light and portraits.
    I'm a portrait and weddings kind of girl so the 28-70mm was overall a good lense. We'll see how the new 50mm holds up for portraits soon.
    cont..
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• The D60 & D90 are both great cameras. Go to a store that has them in stock and just play with the settings, check out where the menus are, how accessable everything is, how does it feel in your hands, ect... Take 'em for a test drive, it's what I did and how I ended up with a Nikon over the Cannon.
    I'm no pro but I think I'm a bit past the amateur stage too, so if you have questions about anything else feel free to PM me too ;)
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I'm a Canon gal, so I can't really answer your Nikon questions... but just to your hubby: NO camera will EVER be the be all, end all camera. :) lol
    ddmac314

Answer by ddmac314 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• Shutterbug77-As far as the 50mm, if it is a 50mm f/1.4, then it will definitely beat your kit lens for portraits anyday. The kit lens probably has an f/4 at best for the widest aperture. The 1.4 will give you the best possible shots for portraits, but is good in other situations too. Find a zoom with a 3.5 aperture. It will change your mind completely about your kit lens.

As for the OP-go here:

http://www.dpreview.com/

This is just about the best review site on the web. It also has a list of forums you can talk to other photographers on. Find the appropriate Nikon forum and they will give you the rundown on the Nikon cameras.
    (cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:27 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• If price isn't really much of an issue, I would skip the d40, d60 and d90 and go for the d300 or the d700. The d300 is going to cost $1200-1500 while the d700 is going to cost $2200-2500. If cost is no issue whatsoever, then I would go for the d3 which is about $5000. The d3x might be nice, but it definitely is not worth $8000. (You can get a very similar camera as the d3x from Sony for $3000)

Here is the Nikon DSLR line-up:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=nikon_d3%2Cnikon_d300%2Cnikon_d3x%2Cnikon_d40%2Cnikon_d40x%2Cnikon_d60%2Cnikon_d700%2Cnikon_d80%2Cnikon_d90&show=all

For the ones that have it available, click on the neon green 'our in-depth review' to see the full review and sample pictures from that model.
    (cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• I would go for one with a cmos sensor and a pentaprism instead of a pentamirror. It is just a difference in quality. The d3 is going to be the best Nikon for the money. Do not let your husband get carried away and buy the d3x for $8000. The only differences between the d3 and d3x:

1) $3000 price difference
    2) 12.4 MP more on the d3x (which only make bigger file size and you run out of memory card space faster
    3) the d3 has live view, and the d3x does not

Furthermore, the d3x is so new, you would be one of the guinea pigs testing it and if anything is wrong, then you lose your camera for however long it takes for Nikon to fix the problem.
    (cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:37 AM on Jan. 10, 2009

• But definitely go for at least the D90 since your hubby is willing to spend the money for it. It will make a decent backup for whichever upgrade you go with later. If you are at all considering photography as a living, you will want a back-up when you do. So, if you can't afford the d3 right now, get either the d90 d700 or d300. Then, later, you can get the d3. If you decide to go with Nikon.

I am now a Sony/Minolta gal myself. Formerly Canon.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 3:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2009