• In the Spotlight:

Without taking any assistance, what do you do to make ends meet?

I am a single mom that works as a waitress and a Nurses Aid on a Children's Cancer floor. I don't have a credit card and I use coupons and shop where there are sales. I always pay cash or use my debit card. We do just fine. We certainly do not live beyond our means. How do all you do it? lol

AbbysMom2001

Asked by AbbysMom2001 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• Same way you do! We live within our means. Things get tight sometimes, but we are doing just fine!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I work as a Dispatcher and make pretty good money. Been here 6 years. Hubby has been at his job at a printing company for over 15 years. He makes pretty good money.

I don't bargain shop I just go get what I want normally. Big problem I have.
    Things do get tight sometimes but we always bounce right back.

MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 9:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• With the economy being the way it is we have also cut down on alot of expenses. My husband is a TSgt in the Air Force and I work at home as a Stampin Up Demonstrator. I keep a list of what we run out of and when I go to the grocery store I buy only what is on the list, and I take the calculator to keep track of the total. I don't go over our budget. We went from shopping at the mall to hitting the resale shops, so instead of paying $20 for expensive clothes we cut down by buying slightly used clothes. My friends and I on base, we trade things, so say my kids out grow something and she has something that I might use we trade. We also try not to cook more than what we are going to eat to prevent from wasting food.
    I also started to be more strict about the charging for my classes. I treat my business like a business.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 9:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We know what is going to be paid monthly, a month or more in advance, and have portions set aside "hidden" (out of sight/out of mind) for emergency purposes. If we stick to the budgets, then one full paycheck can be used for fun at the end of the month. Sometimes we divy the fun up over each weekend and just pay the bills every week. We also live within our means for the most part. We have great families that will provide things for our girls often (extras out of nowhere that we did not ask for, but are grateful for nonetheless). We shop in bulk on occassion, and shop at Walmart very often. I found that grocery stores are nearly double for what I am used to paying at Walmart. No credit card debt though, just cash or debit cards.
    Nic

Answer by Nic at 10:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We are the same as you, we dont own and dont want credit cards. We shop at Aldi's and Wal Mart mostly. I also do a lot of shopping at Good Will or Salvation Army stores ... I thank god for those stores every day!
    cbtkw95

Answer by cbtkw95 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Same way as you.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 10:31 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Same as you. I make sure that I have a job, no matter what the job is. Now I have a good job but with the economy who knows if anyone will have one tomorrow. So if I were to ever get laid off, I'd go to mcdonalds if I had to. Unlike a friend of mine who has a degree in business and didn't work for 2 years because he is above working fast food...loser. I also buy clothes at goodwill, you can find stuff there with tags still on it. I do have a credit card but only for emergencies, and if I do use it, I pay it off in full when the bill comes in so I don't pay interest on it.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• We don't have any credit cards either. I make out menus for two weeks at a time (every meal, plus snacks), then make a grocery list from that and only buy what's on the list. That saves us quite a bit of money. No impluse buying! I also buy clothes for boys on clearance, usually bigger sizes... I can get things on clearance at the end of the season for like $1 and have it for them the next year. Sometimes even cheaper than that! And I go to resale shops as well.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• well, i didn't make it for the longest time... I never got help because I couldn't even get in to see a counseler... long story short... I struck up a deal with my mom... and moved back home... I give her $25 a week toward bills, and I do all the house work, I got a part time job house cleaning, and I pay for all my food and my daughters food and diapers. I'm actually helping my parents save money as well because I hang my clothes to dry (as well as theirs) instead of using her dryer... and the bills haven't really gone up since I've moved here so while their business is kinda slow now due to the recession, it helps they afford their bills.. we its a win win situation, besides that it has definately made me andmy family closer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I got divorced last year, my income went from $50K to $14K. I get no support at all, so I do what I have to do. I have 2 kids and I am on my own. I pay every single bill myself and I got stuck with a ton of credit card debt. I have friends who let me clean their homes and it pays the difference so I can put oil in the tank for heat and put food on the table since my food stamps tanked due to the fact that I got an increase in my social security. My goal is to scrape every penny to get out of debt so all I will have is my car by the end of the year. I am trying to sell furniture, jewlery, anything I can that isn't nailed down. I plan on going back to school in the fall so I can get my degree and hopefully someday find a decent job and return to work, if I can manage my depression well enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009