Is it normal for my baby to cry her self to sleep?

I never let her just sit in her crib and cry. She is seven months old and cries her self to sleep while I rock her every night. She will not sleep unless I am rocking her... But she cries for twenty to thirty min. It makes me so sad that she cries so much. Any advise on what I should be doing to help her not be so unhappy about sleep?
I have tried everything...I think! Is this normal for her to be doing?
She is teething and I know that can make an impact but she has been doing this for months now.

PrincessAdika

Asked by PrincessAdika at 9:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well....I know this sounds harsh and it might actually hurt you more than her...but put her in her crib, DO NOT GO PICK HER UP....and let her cry herself to sleep that way...she might realize that mommy rocking her is what she really wants and doesn't want to be alone by herself while she goes to sleep. I had to do that with my son several times but it worked,,,,eventually!! Good luck!!!
    bdmartin_81

Answer by bdmartin_81 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• let her cry!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Let her cry it out! They have to be able to comfort themselves at some point! Your going to go through this, so your better off starting now!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter cried herself to sleep too. She is fine. I know it is awful to hear them cry but if they are going to cry they are going to cry. My daughter usually slept better after a good cry though.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would try letting her cry it out in bed. You may be surprised, she may actually fall asleep faster that way. My younger daughter did not want to be held when she was tired and cranky. I'd put her in bed and it almost seemed like a relief to her to be laid down and not fussed over. Doesn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, go back to rocking her.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• maybe she needs a binki. i dont believe in the cry it out method! its been said if an infant cries longer than 10 minutes it can cause brain damage.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:55 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I HAD to let my son cry himself to sleep - he had horrible colic and I did the rocking him everynight too and it's true - as bad as it sounds, it made things way worse - so bad to the point where one night he woke up every hour on the hour because he was unable to learn how to self soothe- i started the crying it out at 8 months and it worked - I mean, for whatever reason he STILL crys every naptime and every bedtime but usually only for 15 minutes - I swear my child HATES to sleep - he's only 14 months old right now
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Jesus Christ, I'm so glad the mothers of America are so resourceful that their only "words of wisdom" are "let her cry". In a few years, when she is not listening, they will be the ones telliing you to "bust her butt". Shockingly enough, ladies, there are ways to remedy children's behavior without making them feel like crap.

To the OP: What does she do if you lay her in her crib to fall asleep? Some babies actually like room to stretch out and fall asleep. Try just laying her down and see what she does. If she cries worse, go back to rocking her. It may just be her way of relieving the stress of the day. Sometimes I cry, but it doesnt mean I'm sad, sometimes you just have to relieve stress. If she is in your arms while she is crying, she will feel safe and secure.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• So she's crying WHILE you rock her? Maybe she's over tired. I know when my daughter stays up a little too late it is so hard to get her to calm down after her bath. She doesn't seem to want anything at that point. But I don't believe in crying it out, and if it makes you sad, maybe you don't either. Try doing her normal bedtime routine like 15-20 min. earlier, see if that works? I think at this age they cry when they need something, so I'd try to figure out what they need rather than cry it out.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am personally against letting a little one cry it out. It sounds like you would have a hard time letting her cry it out anyway, since you feel bad when she's crying as you rock her. I have a baby that cries at bedtime, too. She is about 6 months. I have found that putting her to sleep in a babycarrier works great, I walk around the house and pick things up or take care or household chores. For her naps I take this opportunity to take her for a walk. I hope this helps. I know it's hard, but I think its better to rock her to sleep as she cries than to leave her to cry it out, but that is just my opinion!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 10:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009