What would you do?

I just had a sud o fight with my DS about the animals. We have a cat, bird and bunny. The cat and bird are his, since we brought our son home the cat has been peeing on things and tearing up the carpet and the bird has been shrieking louder than very. The bunny is caged and perfectly fine, but I cant handle the bird and cat with a new born. I told my DS this and hes upset that I want to get rid of them both. He tells me to do what I need to do so Im not so stressed but if I get rid of them he will be upset with me. What do I do, keep them and try to deal and go crazy or get rid of them and have him upset with me?

ArmyWife112908

Asked by ArmyWife112908 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• Pedipaws or Softpaws will keep your cat from scratching. The cat was there first - it sees the baby as an intruder and fears it will be replaced, hence the misbehavior. In time it will come around. You could try secluding it in a room (bathroom for instance! no carpet to scratch!) and put a blanket in there with the baby's scent. It will get used to it. As hard as it is...give it attention! If the cat knows it isn't forgotten and is still loved it will come around quicker and be less of a problem! If it's male and not fixed, fix it. That will solve a huge problem. Get a spray bottle and squirt it lightly with water when you catch it scratching; you can't correct it if you don't see it happen and do it right then.
    rosewolfkin

Answer by rosewolfkin at 11:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• he'll get over it wont he? i mean i would get rid of them.. because if the baby is driving you crazy enough then you dont need the animals around!! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I am SO NOT an animal person. The first time the cat peed on or tore up something of mine, he'd have been finding a new home! With the bird, does it help to cover it's cage when it is getting loud? By the way, I don't know how old your son is, but I really think he'd get over it. The needs of the people in the family have to come before the animals. I know that would be too much stress for me to handle! Good luck!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If they are bothering the baby I would get rid of them if there isn't some way to control them.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• after he sees the peace in your home he'll tell you you were right. i would do it. although i would never forgive my husband if he got rid of my cat of 10 yrs. the other cat i probably wouldn't care. i have control over them though. GL
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The baby is 5 weeks and the bird gets louder if you cover him and Marcus doesnt really mind but I gotta deal with him all day with the bird in the background and then I go pick something up and its peed on or I lock the cat out of the bedroom so I can sleep without her meows and then I see my carpet scratched up.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Hmmmm... that's a tough one. I think that if you have animals, you've made a very serious commitment and you must realize that you cannot treat your pets like objects as they are living breathing souls. I understand you are upset and your husband may be "copping out". I'm not being judgmental or rude, but if your child was too hard to handle, you wouldn't get rid of him would you? I just want you to see it from the other side. Make your hubby step up and lend a hand. Check with your vet for solutions. If it is necessary to rehome them, choose carefully so they don't end up abused. You already know they need lots of attention and can be troublesome at times, so please be upfront and honest with anyone interested in taking them in.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would give it some time. That's how animals react. They were your first baby. Just tell him to keep those animals away from you for a while and you will come around. It is overwhelming. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats and a 4 month old and I am geting better although I still lose my patience with the animals sometimes. Just understand that it will take time. is your cat fixed? Thats probably why hes peeing on everything if hes not.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This is irresponsible and terrible.
    Why bother getting pets if you can't take care of them?
    I would NEVER give up my animals.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 10:26 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• have you tried water... every time the cat scratches something or pees.. get a bottle of water and spray the cat... and cover the bird with a blanket (the cage). If things don't calm down in a week... I would take the cat to a shelter. That should calm the bird down a little... if after another week the bird is still annoying, you can take him to the shelter as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:22 PM on Jan. 8, 2009