At what age is it okay to have a bumper pad on the crib?

My son is 5 months old and I have a bumper pad on his crib now, but he sometimes tends to sleep right up against it with his face and I'm scared he will stop breathing. Should I take it off?

DJMsmom

Asked by DJMsmom at 9:42 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have had a bumper pad on my sons crib since he was born.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I don't think its ever truely safe .
    If you want them in there use mesh ones and weave them in and out through the bars.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I used bumper pads on my daughters crib since she came home for the hospital.. They seemed to work fine for her! If your really worried about it, maybe you should think of another way of using a bumper pad... with out so much padding lol*
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have had one in since my daughter was born. I think by five months they can roll away if they aren't able to breathe. I'll probably take mine out when she's old enough to start using it to try to escape from the crib :)
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• put him in a sleep positioner so he cant roll around,
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:07 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I would perfer to deal with a bruised head than a smothered child. he will run into the bars once or twice and will learn to avoid them. I took the bumpers off at 3 months for the same reason, and she hasnt bruised her head yet:)
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm not the parent to say, "Don't do that!" because hey, I let my child sleep on his stomach && let him have a pillow in the crib.
    But when he was around 4 months, he started getting adventurous as he still is && while scooting around one day I found him with the pad over his face.
    So I took it off, but it really depends on the bby.
    If your child doesn't really get into things too much it's probably safe, but when he starts wanting to get nosey && grab everything, I take it off.
    Blueberryplz

Answer by Blueberryplz at 10:16 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter is 7 months. She's been in her crib since about 5 months. Before that we had her in a bassinet. She loves to sleep with her face in the bumper and on her tummy. I tried taking it out a couple of times, but carefully removing extremities that got wedged between bars got very upsetting. I have an AngelCare monitor for her, which are controversial, but gives me peace of mind. I'll leave her bumper in unless she starts pulling up and using it to climb. I'd say it won't get her very far though, seeing as I have it really low and wedged between the mattress and slats.
    Mommy2Macy

Answer by Mommy2Macy at 10:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I've used one since my daughter started sleeping in her crib at 3 months.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• If you feel so worried about it you can take it off. Only you know what's best for your child.

My daughter is a year old and has been in the crib since about 6 months old. I've aways had a bumper on and she's never had a problem. If she has trouble breathing she turns. I've never listen to anyone when they told me not to lay an infant on their stomach or not have a loose blank on them or a pillow or stuffed animals. I have all of them in her crib when she sleep and always have. I feel safe with them in there.
    Ashes1207

Answer by Ashes1207 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009