When did you switch your child to regular milk?

My daughter will be one on Saturday, and she drinks formula at night, but eats food during the day. She has 3 bottles per 24 hour period.

When do you switch a child from formula to milk? Is that all they need in the bottle? Just milk? Do you treat it like you did the formula bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• I started giving my kids milk in their sippy cups when they were like 7/8 months old. Maybe a few times a week at the most just to get them used to it. By the time they turned 1 they were down to just 1 bottle a day and I just took it away when the formula was done. I never gave milk in a bottle. Bottles are for meals (which is what formula is for a baby). Milk is a beverage and should be served in a cup to avoid confusion. I never understood letting a toddler guzzle 8oz of milk instead of eating. My kids only get milk in their cereal, though. I could never afford to let them drink it every day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Slowly introduce milk. Mix the formula and milk. So her tummy can get use to it.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:56 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My doctor told me to switch them to whole milk, preferably in a sippy cup, when they turned one.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i just gave her milk when she turned one..... she was fine with it never any probs
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My kids were off bottles at 9 months old and drinking whole milk by 10 months old.
    They were drinking it out of cups and bottle was gone.
    Anonymous

• I think if you give them milk only in a sippy it helps get them off the bottle. I used bottles for formula only. At twelve months I ditched the bottles and straight to milk. No problems.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 10:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I'm more of an organic kind of gal & I switched mine to rice milk, it's more easily digested and has more calcium.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 11:52 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i hate sippy cups, so my daughter never had those..just had to add that in..lol..i switched my daughter to whole milk about a week before she turned one..well..i started giving her sips of it..but i didnt give her full bottles til she was 1...so much cheaper!! lol...and even then she only got a bottle at night time..sometimes at naps..but usually just once a day
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I switched both boys to milk after their first bday, 12 or 13 mos. I wish I had started putting it in a cup at that point instead of the bottle, but they were still using their bottles. I did get rid of those a few months later, and it's so much easier to deal with the cups than bottles! Their dr said not to give them milk before they were 12 mos, but I've heard that other dr's say different.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009