Bible question for the Christian ladies...may be long so might take a few posts

Can someone shed some light on this? My hubby and I are in an ongoing debate over whom the Sons of God are.

Gen 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

Gen 6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Gen 6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

ColleenF30

Asked by ColleenF30 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always thought that meant angels were having relations with mortal women. And this is where demi-gods (such as Hercules) came from; not immortal but having extraordinary strength and abilities. I don't have any Scripture to back that up, but that's how I interpreted it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Ok not as long as I thought it would be.

Any imput is very appreciated.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The sons of god that you are refering to here are demons, the sons of satan. If you go back and look, the word god in that verse is lower case which means satan. It only refers to our Lord when it is capitalized.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:17 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• The Sons of God seems to refer to men who were the descendants of the Godly line of Seth who were followers and worshipers of God as appose to those who were the ungodly descendants of Cain. The daughters of men were the daughters of those who didn't worship God. And when they intermarried, it corrupted the Sons of God and ended the last of righteous humans with the exception of Noah and his family. This is when God destroyed the earth because man had become so corrupt, he could not be redeemed.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• It couldn't be referring to demons because demons (and angels for that matter) have no sexual or reproductive capabilities and it said that they intermarried and had children. Also as far as the capitalization, while in the English translations of the Bible, there is capitalization (ie: God vs. god), in the original Hebrew in which the Bible was written, there is no upper or lower case.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Sons of God refers to the godly line of Seth, which intermarried with the daughters of men, the ungodly line of Cain. The result of these spiritually mixed marriages brough the judgment of God upon the primeval world. Even though in some passages Sons of God is referred to angels. (Job 1:6) cannot be the case for the simple fact in Matthew 22:30 it says that angels do not marry or give in marriage.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:48 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Then in my searching I come across this.
    Jud 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:32 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• gen6.1 to me means when the earht was bieng filled
    gen6.2 to me it means they lost godly qualities and became part of satans world
    gen6.4 to means giants were the children born to the angels who took a earhtly body to have the women
    gen6.5 to me means that because of adam sining we inherited sin we have sin also
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• sons of GOD are his angels
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 8:52 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• there are soo many arguments abou this but i tend to agree with sis jackson here. i think when i get to heaven i will ask God this question...lol
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 3:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2009