What's better an MD or a nurse/midwife?

In terms of safety, c-section rates, how does it work if you use a nurse/midwife and they decide you need a c-section? Do you have any preferences and why?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 10:24 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I know people who have used midwives and liked it. I needed emergency c-section becuase she got stuck in canal and if I had used a midwife?????? who knows? I like MDs becuase you can make a birthing plan and if you don't want spinal and all that (don't know why you wouldn't) then you don't have to. It can be dangerous. Its usually fine but why would you want to risk it? theres always that one time
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I had 4 kids, and all with an MD. I think it depends on your own personal preference. In the large practice that I am part of, there are both nurse practitioners (midwives) and MD. If there is an emergency with needing a c section, one of the MD's will come and deliver the baby. If it appears that you will deliver naturally, then the Midwife will generally stay with you and give you a lot of support. The MD will monitor you from afar, and come to break your water, do the episiotomy, and catch the baby. A lot less interaction. It depends on what you are looking for, and what the Midwife has as a support system to determine what you feel most comfortable with. Good luck, and great question.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• An OBGYN because they have the knowledge, expertise, and clinical experience to address emergencies or surgeries. From my knowledge a mid wife would NOT determine or perform a c-section. That procedure is beyond their training and certification.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• With my first baby I used an OB/GYN Doctor and things went ok but it could have been better. I just had my 2nd baby and I used a group of midwives throughout the pregnancy and birth... the whole experience was allot better: allot less invasive and more laid back during the actual labor.There is always a doctor on call on the ward in case you need a C-section...
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 10:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I don't think one is better than the other. The most important thing is to be comfortable with your delivery person.
    If you are at high-risk, it's probably better to go with an MD or at the very least make sure an MD is part of your team, ready to take over if there are troubles.

If I had to do it again, I'm not certain what choice I would make. I really liked MY doctor - but it was one of her partners who delivered my daughter. I hated him.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Ultimately it depends on how you want your birth to go. If you do need a c-section it will be performed by an MD but nurse midwives tend to be more involved in total care. Visits tend to be a little longer and less rushed and I know most like to encourage an all natural birth though many if not all are licensed to perscribe pain medicine. I chose an MD out of shear terror I think is the best way to put it. I wanted to be numb from the waste down feet in the stirrups with a surgical team on call if need be, and I'm glad I was (minus the numb from the waist down. I didnt get my epi until they were prepping me for a c-section) less than an hour in to my labor my babys heart rate dropped. I have a very sweet and caring and competant doctor who had the attitude that giving birth isnt time to be a hero (which is my whimpy attitude as well ;p)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• a midwife can't do an episiotomy? I got one with my first and I was really happy with it. I was numb and didn't tear because of it and it healed nicely. That scares me if they can't even do an episiotomy.
    Isaidit

Answer by Isaidit at 10:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I prefer an MD. I want the person delivering my baby to also be a skilled surgeon who could get that baby out in a matter of minutes if something were to go wrong. Just my preference, though.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Well nurse midwives deal with Low Risk pregnancies and usually work in a hospital setting. They are the best option for a low risk pregnancy. In the event of a c/s being needed the OB on call would perform it. Complications, besides c/s, midwives are perfectly capable of dealing with.

Midwives that work in birth centers, or do homebirths, are the best option for a safe healthy natural birth. In the event of a severe complication there will be a hospital transfer.

A midwife is always the better choice unless you are high risk. Also, epesiotomies are never needed. A natural tear is better than a cut. An epesiotomy increases the risk of 3rd or 4th degree tears. Imagine your vagina as a piece of cloth, if you cut the cloth then pull/stretch it it rips easier then if you just left it alone.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:03 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• i loved my midwife, but i have an HMO and there is always an MD on call in case something happens.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:04 PM on Jan. 8, 2009