My daughter's still not sleeping through the night...any suggestions?

Jessica is 6 months old. Her pediatrician told me she should start to sleep through the night around 3 months or 12 lbs, whichever comes first. She's still waking up 2-3 times a night, and i'm just worn out. I feel like my lack of sleep is affecting my ability to take care of Jessica as well as I should be able to.

Anyway, I don't think it's a growth spurt. She's never gone a night without sleeping more than 4 hours in a row. I feed her before bed and go through a bedtime routine with her. She also has a regular bedtime. I'm at a loss!

MommyToJessica

Asked by MommyToJessica at 10:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, there is no way to predict. Pretty much what he meant is that after 3 months, babies are big enough to not need the food in the middle of the night.

At this point, it may be habit. What do you do when you go in? Do you rock her? Give her milk? Sing, talk, do anything else stimulating? The more interaction you give her, the more she will continue to wake up.
    What can you try? Give her water instead of milk. She may drop one or both wake-ups if she doesn't get a "reward". Use a nightight only to change her diaper and tuck her back in. Do NOT talk, sing, or hum. No love pats or kisses either. Nothing that provides any interaction or stimulation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I have to laugh , no one can predict when a child will sleep through the night , the myth that babies should sleep through the night is just that -- a myth .
    Some kids take 2 or 3 years to get to that point .

The best advice I can give is be consistant with her routine and when she is ready she will sleep through.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• You need to teach Jessica to put herself to sleep. I have 4 children. My 2 boys were bottlefed and slept thru the night at 2 months. My two girls were breast fed and slept thru the night at 3 months. You can't expect her to do it on her own now, she has become accustomed to you doing it for her. I would suggest starting during the day, plan about 2 scheduled naps. Put her down, awake, and let her figure it out. If she is on a schedule, then it will be easier for you to determine how many hours she really needs to sleep, and make the majority of those hours be at night. IF you feed her at night, start to reduce the formula/milk to half with half water. Keep moving it along until it is only water and then nothing at all. Its hard to explain it all with limited space. Good luck
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 10:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• she puts herself to sleep and has scheduled naps. That's what's really confusing. The food reduction thing sounds like it'll work. hopefully, it will!
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 10:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• This may be a dumb question but was your baby premature at all? My baby literally just started sleeping through the night. I shot out of bed at the 6 hour mark dazed and confused and watched him sleep the rest of the night out of terror he wasnt breathing. I'm assuming at 6 months she is already on cerreal. Cereal before bed (but not in a bottle) may keep her tummy fuller for longer but if she is waking for reasons besides hunger yuo could try using a diaper designed for overnights so wet diaper wont wake her or use a diaper in the next size up for bedtime. More surface space=more absorbent. I would also try a lullaby cd, noise machine, or womb bear (womb bear works best for us) elevating her mattress (who knows) and maybe sleeping with her blankets so they have your scent on them. Those are my best suggestions. Hope something works
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• she was born at 37 weeks, five days...technically full-term, but a little early.
    MommyToJessica

Answer by MommyToJessica at 10:40 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Other than that, I know how you feel. Mine didn't sleep from bedtime to morning until 10 months. She did it ONCE and didn't do it again until 12 months. I agree, the constant exhaustion does wear on you and it does make it hard to interact with your baby, to teach her and play with her. Best wishes on getting sleep soon!
    kaycee14

• Thats not uncommon for a 6 month old... really people get lucky when they start sleeping through the night at 3 months... with my daughter we started putting her in her own room at 3 months old and we would lay her down in bed still awake but around the time she normally went to sleep... they say when kids go to bed awake it teachers them to put themselves back to sleep when they wake up at night. Also we used blinking Christmas light hung up in her room so she would kind of zone off on them and fall asleep... after about 4 nights in her own room and doing this she started sleeping through the night.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:45 PM on Jan. 8, 2009