what to do about a toddler who has trouble pooping????

my child has problems going.... and sometimes its really hard and it hurts him! but the majority of the time, he has to go but he want! this may sound gross but I dont know what more to do about this problem.... and another thing when he does go its just a little, and we clean him up..... and its not even 5 min's later he went again in his pull-up but the problem is he dont finish pooping, im not sure why but if anyone has any advice please tell me ( i cant stand it anymore ) its driving me insane because its difficult on him and me aswell, because he just cries and i cant stand it really.....(HELP)

ashley205

Asked by ashley205 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• mineral oil in the bottle or cup..... ask the doctor how much
    Anonymous

• He may be impacted by this time. And what is coming thru is the colon acting up and pushing thru the softer mass around the impacted part. This makes it even more uncomfortable and he's prob. doing his best to hold it all in. Poor guy. I would call his doctor and see if they will recommend a stool softener to clean out the bowels. This way he can start fresh and new. We've all had to do it. :) One way to help keep his colon moving along is be sure and keep sugar to a minimum in his diet.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 10:59 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• continued...Sugar acts like sludge in the colon. Also, he needs to drink water all during the day to keep his bowels soft. Juice and cola's have the sugar, and also don't hydrate the body. The colon absorbs water so that the body fluids still thinned out, but when there is not enough, it also pulls it from the bulk which causes it to be too hard and won't pass as easily. Lastly, be sure and offer good fresh fruits cut up like apples and grapes. Apples, esp. also are a natural fiber which will also help your little man. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• apple juice, a child supository.....You should probably call the doc so the baby doesnt get impacted...
    calaid

Answer by calaid at 11:00 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My daughter has had problems with her bowel movements for most of her life. I would suggest giving him some prune juice or pear juice. Her pediatrician had me give my daughter these along with mineral oil in her bottles and it definatley helped her.
    F-Anny-Bot

Answer by F-Anny-Bot at 11:41 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• Visit a chiropractor.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 11:43 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I've been told to give prune juice, more water and increase fruits, excluding bananas and other binding foods.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 8, 2009