When starting solids.....

I'm about to start feeding my son cereal but I don't know how much I'm supposed to give him.

proudmama2772

Asked by proudmama2772 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They don't need it for nutrition...it's more for practice. If he's never had solids before, I'd start out with just a small amount to see how he likes it. If he does ok with it and wants a little more, then that's ok. Don't let the cereal take the place of the milk. It's empty calories.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Rice cereal and Oatmeal cereal are both Iron fortified, so it actually does serve some nutritional benefit. :) Just make a small little serving. Like one spoon of the cereal and enough water to make it kinda' ... well.... watery. When I started this with my son, it probably took him 30 times to get the hang of it, so just keep doing it every day, no matter how messy and frustrating it will be. Your baby will still get all the calories he needs in the milk/formula that you give during the day, so if the food ends up everywhere but his mouth, just consider it practice. It wont hurt anything :)
    gabrielsmom619

Answer by gabrielsmom619 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• BTW, oatmeal constipated my son WAY less than rice. Could be different for your baby, just a thought.
    gabrielsmom619

Answer by gabrielsmom619 at 9:48 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would make 2 tablespoons of cereal with 2ozs of perpared formula and then give some formula afterwords to wash it down.
    bellalatina81

Answer by bellalatina81 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I would start with a small amount, maybe about a tablespoon or so. I always mixed all of my kid's cereal with formula when they first started. I have found that putting a very very small amount of baby applesauce sometimes helps ease the "new taste" when first starting out. GOOD LUCK!!!!
    MammaCmotherof3

Answer by MammaCmotherof3 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My daughter is 3 months and I just started mixing hot cereal like Cream Of Wheat with breastmilk since thats what she drinks but it works the same with formula. Just put enough milk in it to make it a liquid that will come through a bottle tip if thats how you want to serve it or a little thicker if you want to serve it in a bowl. But personally I would leave out the applesauce until you introduce vegi's and your son is comfortable with them because fruit is sweet and after getting used to them he may not want anything to do with the much less tasty vegi's
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 11:31 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My daughter started eating the rice oatmeal at 2 1/2 months. She started with only a few spoonfulls at a time, and it was given to her at bed time. She had no problems eating it,and if i gave her to much , which did happen a few times. She just spited up alittle. Its just testing differnt amounts to see what your baby wants and needs. Every baby is differnt though.
    the.messners

Answer by the.messners at 9:34 AM on Jul. 17, 2008