cheerio, or no cheerio?

have heard babys cant choke on cheerios...is this true? my 6 month olds diet has been advanced from the get go, we started cereal @ 6 weeks old and are now dabbling in stage 3 food, biter bisquits and some big people food (mashed potatoes ect. on occasion) can i give my eager eater cheerios, she would love them?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• philsbabymama....read the op question again! her baby is 6 months now. frankly it is no one's business what she feeds her child. she also said that her pediatrician told her to give her infant cereal at 6 months. you can get all kinds of different information online, that is why you follow your pediatricians advice as well as following your own instincts. to answer the question of the op i have fed my son cheerios at 6 months and he never choked on them and he loved them! also my personal pediatrician told me that it was a good finger snack for him that is safe to eat. and for kelsobabeyy she is just an idiot that is why people jump down her throat.
    Anonymous

• you keep asking this question. and i do not think you should give them to her. she doesnt NEED to have them just wait!!
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:29 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• you are right about cheerios being hard for infants to choke on. I have been giving my son cheerios since he was 6 months. you really gave your child cereal at 6 weeks? wow that is young! just be careful giving your infant foods to early. that is how they develop food allergies. oh and always check with a pediatrician. im a pediatric nurse and i still double check with our pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• kelsobabye how many kids do you have since you are such an expert?
    Anonymous

• Gerber makes these things I call puffs. She might like them.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 11:33 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• I agree with KelsoBabeyy...What's the big rush for adult food? Feeding foods too soon can cause not only choking, but food allergies. I'd take it slow for a while and give your baby's digestive system a chance to mature and develop some. You'll have a happier baby in the long run.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 8, 2009

• My son loves Cheerios. He just started eating them at 12 months though. There is no rush to start your baby on foods he or she is not ready for. I wouldn't give your baby anything with wheat in it until she is at least a year. I'm really shocked you started your baby on solids at 6 weeks. Scary...
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:13 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• lol hun if you dont want answers or opinions from anyone dont ask. im sure MAJORITY of us in here REGARDLESS of children we have, none of us are EXPERTS in this. we arent doctors want an expert opinion go to your damn doctor. LOL
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:43 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• LOL!!! I love to hear all of you freak out. feeding your baby early does not cause food allergys. its just that its not so easy to deal with anaphalactic shock at such a young age. the reason i started cereal so early is that the breast milk was just not enough for her she wanted to eat every hour and my doc suggested cereal. Im trying to find a way to keep her buisy while we eat dinner, she reachs for our food and crys the whole time we eat, so she is definetly interested in food. The biter bisquits are a damn mess, but she loves them (btw shes very supervised while having them). so i guess ill try the puffs, and i wasnt planning on doing any of this on my own her 6 month wcc is next week. I just wanted advice from moms who have some experience here, wich most of you dont. I cant beleive the fear of the cheerio (or just food in general) we are one of the only countrys that acts like this about feeding our young!
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• WOW, How did we ever make it to 2009 with such dangerous food available?
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 9, 2009