my 5 year old isnt potty trained at nite got any ideas on how to change that

MissB118

Asked by MissB118 at 9:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have him/her checked by your dr. Sometimes it is simply that their bladders are not mature enough yet and they just have to grow out of that.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• # 1... do you stop all drinks an hour before bedtime?
    # 2... have you ever tried waking him up before you go to bed, so he can go to the potty?

If Yes to both of these and it don't work, call his doctor. It can be cause his bladder is'nt mature yet. Alot of children goes through this. The Doctor will help you through it and help you deal with it. Good Luck.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 11:50 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Don't let him drink anything right before bed. Whenever my kids do, I make them go to the bathroom on the way to bed. I haven't had any accidents yet.
    Marisa940

Answer by Marisa940 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Just wait it out. It isn't uncommon for kids to wet the bed until they are 8. My 6 1/2 yo son just stopped wearing pull-ups at night a couple weeks ago. My 5 1/2 dd still wears them at night and I'm not worried. They will grow out of it on their own. They are both very deep sleepers.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree with the bladder issue. Sometimes kids grow faster then their bladders and this causes accidents. My oldest sons best friend will still have accidents, at night, sometimes and he will 12.

If it is an every night thing then I would check with the doctor. My middle child had surgery because the opening at the tip of his penis was not large enough. He was peeing during the day, but only a little at a time. Since he had the surgery he has not had any problems. Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• We got a coool alarm clock that makes all different funny alarms and set it to go off at like 1am. He still has accidents sometimes but it has gotten better and he is so proud of himself when he wakes up dry!
    bella214

Answer by bella214 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 24, 2008