What fruits & veggies besides the ones aready in baby food jars can you feed your 6 month old

My baby girl is 6 months old. I started her on cereal about a week ago and bought up both fruit & veggie baby foods to start her off with. Once she gets the hang of it I plan on making my own baby food. I was wondering what other fruits and veggies are okay to give a 6 month baby that aren't already in jars? I've heard avocados are good.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what's not already in jars because i'm not to that stage yet...but avocados were my first choice...those are the only ones I've heard of though. I'd assume that pretty much all fruits and veggies would be good to give. It's all probably better than what's in jars...at least you would know what is exactly in your baby's food.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:23 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I was going to say avacadoes. My son loved them. He liked mashed bananas and baked sweet potatoes, too, but you can buy those in jars as well.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:30 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I have to agree with britni, fresh fruit and veggies are healthier and cheaper. And most things that aren't already "mushy" can be cooked, strained, mashed. Not to mention the fact that jarred baby food tastes slightly different that fresh. You don't want to think you know what your little one likes only to have to go right back to the grocery store when she spits the fresh (different) stuff at you. Better to start out fresh and not worry about making a change later. Happy feeding!
    secondrose

Answer by secondrose at 12:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I just put some apples in the freezer for my little one. He won't eat them for another month or so yet, but I got a fruit basket for the holidays and wasn't going to eat THAT much fruit, you know? You can also do peas, green beans, pears, peaches, mangoes, squash, bananas, potatoes...avocadoes are great, too! Supposedly you'd supposed to hold off on carrots and spinach until they're older, but anything else is fair game!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Avocado is good like everyone said.
    You could also do at 6 months- Pumpkin, Zucchini, Apricots, Nectarines, Plums, Tofu
    When she is around 8 months you could start- Asparagus, Broccoli, cauliflower, SPinash, Mango, Papya, beans (black, white, navy, pinto)
    and then around 10 months- artichokes, beets, corn, cucumber, eggplant, pineapple
    And as far as stuff that DOES come in a jar, most stuff you can make and it still tastes better. I have just started making foods for my son.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009