Atten:All vegetarians-need help!

I'll admit that I love meat but I recently seen a peta clip of animal cruelty& it won't leave my mind. Entire family including hub are BIG TIME meat eaters. I'd like to wean myself slowly but I'm constantly tempted. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You don't have to become a vegetarian...simply know your sources for meat and ensure you are supporting self-sustaining farmer's who raise their animals the old fashioned way. There are plenty of cruelty-free sources, especially given the media attention such conglomerate farms have gotten in the recent past. Remember too that much of PETA's material is propoganda, skewed and not always honest. For example, many of their "cruelty" videos were not shot here in the US. This is not to say that such conditions do not exist here, but they are certainly not indicative of all farming.

If you want to wean yourself off meat, then by all means, that is your choice...but do make sure to discuss it with your family and consider what they want as well. My SIL went vegetarian a couple years ago without the consent of her family and it created quite a bit of problems for them.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:05 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Just keep watching those videos. lol. I've never really liked meat all that much but those videos are what did it for me.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I opened this because I am a former vegetarian and still routinely cook for vegetarians.

You can buy meat that is raised responsibly, free range, etc. Just do some research into the companies that are available around you and find what you agree with.

Roasted or grilled portabella mushrooms have a very meaty quality to them.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:51 AM on Jan. 9, 2009