sourdough starter?

does anyone have a good recipe for sourdough bread that doesnt need a starter for bread machine? Or does anyone have a good recipe for a sourdough starter?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 12:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• yay! i have tried so hard to get SOMEONE interested in sourdough starter! you are the first bite ive had! here is a great recipe. pretty easy.

1 2-oz cake yeast or 3 1/4 oz packets dry yeast
    4 cups warm water
    2 tbsp sugar
    4 cups all purpose flour
    1 raw potato, peeled and quartered

dissolve yeast in warm water. add sugar, flour and potato. mix in crock (or glass bowl) and let rise until very light and slighty aged.
    to remix starter, add 1 cup of warm water, 2 tsp sugar and the amount of flour to mix to the consistancy of first starter. set aside until biscuit time again. mever add yeast after the first time, but keep raw potato in as food for the starter. for best results, use daily. store in refrigerator.

if this is too vague,and you need more info, let me know. this is pretty easy, and really good. i know a lady who started her sourdough 20 years ago, and shes still using it.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:40 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• THANK YOU SO MUCH IVELOSTMYSELF, OH MY GOOODNESS THANK YOU SO MUCH I'M NEW TO THIS SITE AND OH YEAH NOW I'M SO EXCITED, I LOVE MAKING BREAD, OR JUST ANYTHING IN THE KITCHEN, MY FAV OR FAV'S IS COOKING/BAKING, YOU BET THIS WILL BE USED, AND ENJOYED ALOT, THANK YOU AGAIN I WILL BE BACK AND CHECK THIS FORUM OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED......
    c.barbara

Answer by c.barbara at 10:42 AM on Jan. 9, 2009