Does emerging foodborne illness

outbreaks occurring more and more frequently worry you? Do you think the food supply is safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• from someone who has direct knowledge of someone who lost to foodborne illness, I would agree with all said here. My only input is this. Everyone not just you few, everyone should be told about this and spread the word. Poorly cooked meats,raw seafood, soil, water, unpasteurized dairy-soft cheeses, raw egg, deli meats, soft cheeses, are all harborers. All we can do is this, clean fruits/veggies when brought home before stored and keep separate from other foods til cleaned, cook meats to the proper temp and preferably reduce weekly intake, keep separate meat/veggie boards/utensils-sterilize. Avoid any risky things while pregnant, even BF (cuz they don't know enough), immuno-compromised, elderly. It is increasing because demand is increasing and carelessness to keep up w/demand is way up along w/poor regulations. We seem to be a more careless generation. Making own foods the best way to decrease the occurences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• No it does not bother me. Because if you learn safe food handling at home there would not be a problem with food borneillness. Alot of places that serve food do not handle the food properly. Do you think when you go into the grocery store the food is always at the proper temp. If you really thought about it with anytype of food you would starve. And this is comming from someone who had to get certified to handle food and take classes about proper food handling.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Familiar with the foodborne illness HUS? Safe food handling is not going to necessarily help in this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• no it's not but it's a start. If I would have thougth about every single time someone butchered or sprayed chemicals on plants I would have been dead a long time ago. But I do believe that what they use on the animals and crops are causing people to develope deadly allergies. But like I said if you based how food is transported and treated and that if you knew how to handle food properly it would seriously reduce foodborne illnesses. Have you ever thought about ready to eat foods and how they are handled you would not want to eat anything period. I don't keep a paranoid frame of mind when it comes to it because when I recieve it I make sure that things are cooked properly. That's the key to keeping everyone safe.
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I wash ready to eat foods like salad. I do not care if it says triple washed, it is washed and then washed again. We do not eat much ready to eat foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• you can wash it over and over and over again but do you really think the pesticide is out of it. If you look at it like this when pesticide is sprayed onto fruit and veggies they have pores too so when the pesticides are sprayed on them it soaks it right up so it's already in the food reguardless of you washing it over and over and over again. The same thing with all the animals that are raised to be slaughtered. They are fed hormones to make them grow faster. Like I said I try not to think about things like that. Yes I am aware of the foodborne illness problem but Proper food handling and cooking will kill the bacteria to a point where you don't get sick..
    Princessstar024

Answer by Princessstar024 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Try to get your foods from reputable growers and resources. (local is good, your backyard is better)

No, I don't worry. I do the best I can to cook well and live responsibly, and I pray for the best.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:08 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I just have to laugh at all of the "overly cautious" food prepping...really? SEPARATE cutting boards and utensils for different types of foods?

I'm 40, and I remember as a kid my mother leaving frozen meat on the kitchen counter ALL DAY to thaw...then her cooking it, us eating it, and NEVER being sick (beyond the common cold) a day in my life!!! And don't even get me started on the sterilization of infant/toddler toys and clothes!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Backyards are BETTER, but not foolproof...do you know where your bagged garden topsoil comes from? Ever have your OWN garden soil tested?! I bet you'd be in for a "surprise" at the chemicals contained within...all being absorbed into the growing food!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2009