Is it cruel for chickens to be crammed into battery cages

to suffer for the profit of man?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• i think it is cruel the way most places raise chickens.... i live near a few chicken processing plants and often see trunks transporting chickens inhumanely packed into wire cages on their way to be slaughtered.... its horrible the way they are treated, and cows too... I still eat it and just try not to think about it...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• they're going to die anyway. are you a vegetarian? because if you dont eat chicken i could see your concern :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:21 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I do not eat chicken. It is disgusting how they process these animals. The texture of chicken is nasty and it is infested with microbes that cause illness and disease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I do eat chicken but I still disagree with how they are treated. May not make sense but when their dead their not suffering. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Yes, of course it's cruel.

However, the treatment of the chicken I ate tonight never crossed my mind.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:33 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• This was a big deal with the election in california...it was one of the props. I don't know much about how they are treated...but I do know that for the ones they use for eggs they keep them caged because chickens will eat anything! They want to make sure they control what they eat for our safety and health. I know that if they find that farmers treat their animals bad they won't use their products...like the cow meat that was recalled because the farmers were hitting them with tractors and being really mean...I don't know if I agree fully with recalling it though....I mean a lot of cows died to end up throwing the meat away.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• People do a lot of cruel things for profit. The mistreatment of animals, intended for food, as well as abortion. However, babies are more important than animals.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• They cut the beaks off battery cage chickens so they do not kill each other. They cram as many chickens in battery cage as possible for maximum profit. It has nothing to do with chicken eating everything why they are in cages. It is for quality control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• TOTALLY!

Besides, free range local chicken tastes much much better.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• agree w/above, ignoring Blessed. Would like more info from 12:24, I have always had a "fear" of chicken though I do eat, would you believe I'm afraid to cook it. I always feel its unclean. I hated it as kid, espec KFC and would not get dinner. Since I've heard of the BS KFC does and yuk yuk yuk, I could think thank goodness I didn't eat THAT much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jan. 9, 2009