Weird questions from doc or acceptable ones?

I have two toddlers. Younger one had a well baby visit, and the doctor was like, is it easier raising him than the older one? This surprised me, so I answered Well, I wouldn't know, because I'm still raising both of them! But she pressed the issue; yeah, but is he an easier baby? I don't like to compare kids to each other, even my own, so I answered well, they both have their pluses and minuses lol. Did I blow her questions out of context, or am I right in thinking it was a bit, for lack of a better word, rude?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jan. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well my third was much easier than my first b/c I knew a whole lot more by that time. I don't think it is comparing your children, but comparing your parenting abilities from then and now. I wouldn't think it was rude, just odd.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:39 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• sounds odd, but maybe she was just making small talk. i know a lot of ppl say the second is easier, i wouldnt know cause i only have one. i wouldnt put too much into it
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:59 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• maybe she doesn't have any children of her own or maybe only one and was wondering what the difference is between one and two kids
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:29 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I think you're reading too much into it. A lot of people that I know who have two or more kids have found that, for example, their first was a real crier, really fussy and such, and the second was quieter, more easygoing. Or vice versa. She may have just been wondering if you found that to be the case. Not a big deal to me.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:49 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• no i think most people assume once you have raised one, doing it again is easier because you know more about what you are doing. like ridinga bike the second time vs the first, i dont think the ?? is bad at all..
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:54 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• Coming from a doctor its a question to see how you are coping as a parent , to make sure you aren't having difficulties that you might be a bit uncomfortable dealing with or talking about ...
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• She's probably checking to see how you're feeling and if you're showing any signs of depression. Like if you say that he cries all the time she'd probably ask what you do when that happens.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I don't think it was odd...I think in general, it is easier raising #2, as a parent you're more relaxed than with the first baby...maybe she's pregnant with her second?
    JillianMomOf3

Answer by JillianMomOf3 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• I do think it is a weird question, but I, personally, wouldn't have found it rude, per se. I was a nanny before I had my daughter and I can objectively say, I got spoiled on the little boy I took care of. He was a very content "easy" baby...my daughter was completely different. She was a very difficult, fussy, needy baby. They ended up having the same temperament as kids...babies aren't in control of how they handle themselves that young, so I don't think its necessarily making you say "Oh, this is my "good" child and this is my "bad" child"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 9, 2009

• My own two babies (now grown up) were markedly different from each other. The first was that classic great starter baby - easy to please and happy. The second was a classic difficult baby and difficult child. The first did not prepare me for the second and everyone could see that, including the pediatrician, who frequently commented on it. Perhaps your doc was making small talk or perhaps in the doc's experience, parenting is often different from one child to the next, as it was for me.
    divinity80921

Answer by divinity80921 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2009